460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up a set of omega 1.72 roller rockers for a price i could 't refuse in good shape. im going to give them to my brother for his birthday coming up, he has an internally stock 5.0 in his mustang. what other changes do i need for changing from a 1.6 to a 1.72?

new pushrods, or stock length?

new valve springs to handle the extra valve lift created?

will the extra valve lift clear the pistons ok? i believe a stock 89 5.0 has dished pistons in it.

thanks for the input

·
Registered
313 Posts
Change the springs before they break. You should be fine on piston to valve clearance, I ran a E cam ([email protected] .535/.535) with 1.72 on stock heads and had no problems. Pushrods will most likely be stock length but of course check them to certain.

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
Dukeofdiamonds said:
i just picked up a set of omega 1.72 roller rockers for a price i couldn't refuse in good shape. im going to give them to my brother for his birthday coming up, he has an internally stock 5.0 in his mustang. what other changes do i need for changing from a 1.6 to a 1.72?

new pushrods, or stock length?

new valve springs to handle the extra valve lift created?

will the extra valve lift clear the pistons ok? i believe a stock 89 5.0 has dished pistons in it.

thanks for the input
  • Your brother's internally stock 302 will need adjustable roller rocker studs to accomodate the roller rocker conversion.
  • He will also need pushrod guideplates.
  • He will also need hardened pushrods to work with the guideplates. Pushrod length will have to be determined during geometry evaluation.
  • The bone stock 302 has 3/8" rocker studs. Hope that the rockers you purchased are also for 3/8" studs, because 302 roller rockers are available for either 3/8" or 7/16" studs.
  • In a bone stock engine, a valve spring upgrade shouldn't be necessary, although I can't speak for the remaining life expectancy of the existing stock valve springs.
  • Check your piston-to-valve clearance. Very likely okay.
I am selling brand spanking new Miller 7075-T7 roller rockers for 302 Fords, available in 1.6 ratio, 1.7 ratio, 3/8" stud or 7/16" stud. Just $192.

Paul

·
Registered
750 Posts
Omega doesnt make pedestal mount rocker arms? Late model 302's dont use stud mount rocker arms. FWIW, I have no clearance probs ith the stock cam with 1.7's and the bigger valves of the AFR 165's I run. You MIGHT have a problem with the oil baffle in the stock valve covers, nothing that a little tweaking cant fix.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies guys, and yes theyre pedestal mount rockers, they just bolt on.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh and gary, ive got some other valve covers we were going to put on it anyways.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nope, no shims that i know of, where can i find em or can i make them out of something?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks alot gary, im sending him to the local speed shop tomorrow to find some of those shims, i test fit one of them tonight and its pushing the valve open at TDC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts