460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy's looking at possibly buying a 86 coupe with a 460 and a c6 and 98% of the car is done. What does it take to convert to the 5 lug front and rear

Ace

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
You need to change to 87 up front spindles for most swaps or I have used Ford Ranger rotors with the mustang wheel bearings to get the 5 lug on 86 and earlier mustangs and t-birds, if you swap spindles you get the bigger brakes though.

·
Registered
877 Posts
You need to change to 87 up front spindles for most swaps or I have used Ford Ranger rotors with the mustang wheel bearings to get the 5 lug on 86 and earlier mustangs and t-birds, if you swap spindles you get the bigger brakes though.
Thanks, I need to do some looking now.

So if I use the ranger rotors do I use the 1980 - 1985 style or what year? Then all I need to do is take the mustang rotor off and take the bearing out of the mustang rotor and put it in the ranger rotor? Then do I use the mustang brakes still with the ranger rotors?

·
Registered
253 Posts
rear

I don't think 84 had a 8.8 rear.If it does not have one they are cheap and bolt right up.You will still need to upgrade the axle's,when you do just order the five lugs. The whole moser kit is pretty reasonable.This will also get rid of the c-clips.I don't know how many mustangs I've seen with bent fenders because of broken c-clips. Ward

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I just went to Oreilly's and bought the Ranger rotors. They are a direct bolt-on for 79-86 cars and 87-93 4 cylinder cars and they are cheap. The outboard brake pad will drag on the rotor hat so I had to hit the edge of the brake pad backing plate with a 4" grinder & flapper wheel. Not a big deal though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts