460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I'm looking to build a reliable 502 or 514 stroker. I inherited a 1968 thunderbird from my dad. The 429 in it is due for a makeover. I'm not looking to build a track machine and have no intention on street racing. Just want something that's above average to drive. I will be doing a light port on the c8ve heads and rebuilding the transmission. Any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
9,730 Posts
Sounds to me like a 460 crank and 466 inches is more than adequate for your needs.

High nines static c/r with a modest cam cam make a ton of tire shredding torque.

Pretty easy to make 550 torque and 450 hp.
Ford Powertrain applications has a header package that fits very well.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
159 Posts
All depends on your budget, a 460 crank, prepped stock rods and cast/hyper pistons are hard to beat for a cheap reliable cruiser. tock rockers, take your time assembling to find correct pushrod length and those early heads should already have screw in studs, a plus. I say listen to scotty J.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone
I'm looking to build a reliable 502 or 514 stroker. I inherited a 1968 thunderbird from my dad. The 429 in it is due for a makeover. I'm not looking to build a track machine and have no intention on street racing. Just want something that's above average to drive. I will be doing a light port on the c8ve heads and rebuilding the transmission. Any help would be appreciated
Start with junckyards look for older model mark 3 that's where you'll find your best moter and trans man go with m&e for your rear end swap automatic valve body for manual, put lower first and second gear out of over drive trans. " way better torch....... 3800 stall converter and I would go with the rpm performer intake if u can find one.. K&N arifilter system and msd ignition with the matching coil and upgraded distributor.
QA1 makes the best front end for that model car tubular k-member,adjustable coilovers ect..
Go with aluminium reducer pulleys and truck radiatior go electronic waterpump and fuel we went with automotive engineering now gearhead aerospace engineering. BAD ***.....Water pump and all brakes plus electronic fuel pump....:unsure:think u would have one hell of a car if u followed what I've told you....
Hello everyone

·
Registered
631 Posts
HI I'd go with what Mad Porter said.. I had a 466 (.30 over 460) mild work over, stock crank, home exhaust bump ported out (D3ve heads), headers, flat top pistons, streight up (0*) timing set, 750 eldelbrock, roller tip rockers, 5:16 intake 5:43 exhaust lift @50 cam and 3:55 rear gears and it would push my 5,000lb 4 door international truck to a 14 sec 1/4 mile it was fast.. and in your T bird I'm sure it would scream..

good luck take care be safe
tim

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Start with junckyards look for older model mark 3 that's where you'll find your best moter and trans man go with m&e for your rear end swap automatic valve body for manual, put lower first and second gear out of over drive trans. " way better torch....... 3800 stall converter and I would go with the rpm performer intake if u can find one.. K&N arifilter system and msd ignition with the matching coil and upgraded distributor.
QA1 makes the best front end for that model car tubular k-member,adjustable coilovers ect..
Go with aluminium reducer pulleys and truck radiatior go electronic waterpump and fuel we went with automotive engineering now gearhead aerospace engineering. BAD ***.....Water pump and all brakes plus electronic fuel pump....:unsure:think u would have one hell of a car if u followed what I've told you....
I think you replied in the wrong thread. Nothing you said makes any sense for what the original post was asking....actually nothing you said makes a lot of sense, period.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts