·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Final build for 2007,

The car:
87 mustang hatch, 3150 with driver(180)
8.8 rear with welded tubes,girdle, 3.27 gears
Suspension is southside lowers, upr adjustable uppers, stock coils, strange 10 way shocks
Front has upr k-member/coilovers 90/10s, dropped 1.5" for hood clearance, header clearance (4" cowl hood)
Transmission is c4 with brake, 4800 stall
Tires are 28 x 10.5 et drags on 15 x 10 weld

The engine:

502 CI
DIVE block 4.39 bore , 4.14 stroke , 6.7 h-beam rods
Pistons are je's srp forged dish tops
Camshaft is a lunati solid roller 255-263 @050 with 675 lift on a 110 LSA/106 ICL
Heads are out of the box blue thunder ford cj port 2.25/1.88 - 80cc
Intake is a victor with a 1050 dominator
Headers 2" super comps
Compression ratio approx 9.5 to 1 , according to srp site
Timing set at 35, which I will play with this weekend.

The shakedown:

altitude - 800 ft , temp around 25 c

First pass shut down past the 1/8 as i was not sure on steering, car stability, etc. PROBABLY more scared than anything not to blow it up as my windsor did last pass out in august of 06

It went 1.43 60 ft, 6.35 in the 1/8th so i knew it was capable of 9/s

Next pass out I thought if she holds past the 1/8 we are going for it, and it was a handful till 300 ft as they werent spraying, rain clouds rolling in.
Went thru the traps at 10.04, 133.4 mph, rpms were at 6600, 1.41 60ft
I was surprised at the rpms, and seeing the mph, the motor looks to be all done at less than 6300. Loose convertor and all, Im putting in 3.27 gears this week to see if it will mph out the top, as I was all done by 1100 feet with 3.73/s

Well that was it, at the track 2 hours and its rained out till next week.

Over all very happy with the motor, tons of torque, have to get used to the lower rpms, but if it will run 9/s this weekend going thru the traps at 6000 rpm, on 92 octane, it will make my year !!!!

Will post results this coming weekend, as i will try the gears, look at jetting, timing, valve lash.
Cant wait.......

·
Registered
262 Posts
build up

That thing is hauling the mail for 3300+lbs. I know guys with more cubes and more compression and their not going that fast. Congradulations!!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Devildog said:
Good show and I like your cam....keep us posted........D
This was my last part to buy, and the hardest decision, as of my compression ratio being so low, but i thought worst case get the heads milled or put in different pistons this winter if the cam was not suitable.
Lunati voodoo #64034, very happy with this cam.
Thanks, guys will post this weekend as the gears went in last nite. Reason for 3.27/s is I will spray it in the next month or 2 with a 150 shot and will need the gears for mph.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good news and bad news.............
went out yesterday with the 3.27 gears, first pass i forgot to change my shift lite, so i was shifting at 6500, car went thru the traps at 6100, 9.94 at 135.8 mph !!! Finally hit the magic 9/s!!!

Second pass i shifted at 6000, car went 1.40 60ft, 6.33 1/8 at 109.1 mph, and 9.87 at 136.9 mph !!!

I was very happy, and this is more than i could of imagined for this combo.

3rd pass they forgot the change the tower back to 1/4mile, as a few top fuelers ran before me.

4rth pass, well.......i turned my transbrake up to 4800 to see if i could get in the 1.3's 60 ft, and BOOM!!!!
My ALUMINUM drive shaft is now missing an ear and a ujoint.

Im going to post about what driveshafts you guys are running in the other section as im curious.
Ive definately found the limit for aluminum.

Next weekend im going to concentrate on tuning the car and will post more results from jetting, timing etc.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well guys, having so much fun with this car, racing every weekend, ive forgot to tune the car. I have 60 passes on it now, never laid a wrench on the motor since it fired........
Today was license day so i goofed around with the transbrake.
Best 60 foot to date on a well prepped track was 1.36 at 3300 launch
Today, mediocre track, cooler outside ( 21C) i kept turning the brake up till 3800 was a 1.38 60 ft.
Very good day of testing, as the car went 9.76, 9.756 on my last 2 license runs.
2 passes after that were 9.702, and 9.721 at 139.10 mph

I cant say enough about these motors, as they are torque monsters, and make way more power than I thought, as i was hoping to just hit the 9 second mark, and have done that with ease.
Closest i can figure is about 660 hp, and im sure torque is up there with it...
Im sure there is more in it with timing and jetting, but what the heck for??

Best part is, there is no tinkering like a small block................ :D

I had the car weighed at the track which the guy told me was 3155lbs with me in it. Now i have to go back to our local coop to see if this is accurate,as thats where i weighed it earlier........ :evil:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No , no airbags. Rear suspension is lakewood lower arms, stock uppers including bushings...........ya i know, i ordered new upr adjustables for this week............stock springs with 50/50 drag shocks. The main reason the car launches so straight is the antiroll bar. Before the antiroll bar the car launched like a twisted pretzel :lol:

As well, the end of this month Im taking the car to the chassis dyno for kicks, and will post results.

Any guesses??

·
Registered
262 Posts
Antiroll bar

Just curious. Who's antiroll bar did you go with and how did you set it up? Any preload added to pass. side or did you leave it neutral. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually made my own, but if i was to do it again i would probably buy a upr setup. They have some good rear suspension packages as well.......I did preload the passenger side a bit, and i should probably preload it just a bit more to get equal tire lift on each side, but it works very well :D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chassis dyno results:

Pulled from 3000 to 6300 rpm - 565hp , 505 ftlbs tq

The curve was as flat from 3000 to 6200 on both hp and tq, varying maybe 10-15 points from start to finish

Taking in consideration for the drivetrain, the engine would probably dyno by itself around 685 hp and 615 + in tq.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Your car definately impresses! Those are great numbers on pump gas and at that weight.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. The greatest part is at the race track, when everybodies running $3.00 /L of fuel, at 10 passes a weekend, probably $80-100 in fuel, and I dont spend that in 3 + weekends :lol: The other most incredible thing is the low rpm, and the amount of tuning and work that must be done at the track............NONE :!:

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I am impressed with your combo.

I want to run on 93 octane, 10.0 to 1 cr and pull about 130 mph in a 3450 lb (raceweight w/driver) Turbo Coupe.

Your camshaft selection looks good. What rpms does the engine idle at?

With the low CR, I would say you don't have any draggging starter problems.

Alan

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
83-88T-Bird Guy said:
I am impressed with your combo.

I want to run on 93 octane, 10.0 to 1 cr and pull about 130 mph in a 3450 lb (raceweight w/driver) Turbo Coupe.

Your camshaft selection looks good. What rpms does the engine idle at?

With the low CR, I would say you don't have any draggging starter problems.

Alan
I have it idling at 1400 when warm, so it doesnt load up with fuel.
As far as starting when its warm, it does crank hard, but with a good carb setup, it fires right away.......

1 - 20 of 118 Posts