460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help.My 502 has 11.7 to 1 compression, ported dove-c heads, a .713 lift roller 274/284 by crane,750 holley.This set up with 30 degrees of total timing and a powerglide with a converter that will stall around 5300,went [email protected] shifting at 6000 with the 5.67 gears going through the 660 mark at 6200 rpms.I changed the gears to a 4.56 and slowed car a little, maybe,I did not get enough passes to tell.It ran a [email protected] the first pass and shelled the rearend after I turned the 2step up from 3200 to 3800.The car is a 91 Thunderbird ORSCA 7.00 car that weighs 3300 pounds.I have always run small blocks, and my last 347 would run within 2 tenths of this motor what do some of you big block people think I need to change,we will probaly do more bracket racing this year. I think that the way this motor revs and sounds I am sure there is some more here.I need to decide about a new carrier and gear set?NO MORE SMALL BLOCKS!!!!!

D

·
0 Posts
1st thing I see is the Carb is way small, may want a victor and a 1050.... and timing looks a little low for a dove headed motor, Maybe 34-36 would be more in the ball park?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the carb coming,the car has 33-10.5 hoosier tires,what about the gears.I'll try the timing change. thanks ..... Chuck

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
Chuck bring your total timeing up to about 36 to 38 and put on a 1050 and a victor and let that thing breath... if you are running 1/8 mile 4.56 if 1/4 mile put 4.10 or 3.90 and use that BBF torque shift that thing up around 6700 and see if it picks up

Randy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, two people that agree on this,must be geting close.I will test Sunday afternoon and let you know how it goes.thanks

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Sharp looking Bird you have there. Lokks bada*% with those meats on the back.

Don't see too many of that style Bird.

D

·
0 Posts
I agree with cougar ,You have way to much gear for a BBF.

3.89-4.10 for the 1/4 and 4.56-4.88 for the 1/8

May want to consider talking with your convertor Mfg / Shop too. Could probably use a tune-up / restall, If that convertor was for a small block it may be way too loose.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put the 4.88 gear in the bird,run it in on the stands,I heard a noise.I did not think anything about it.When I let the car down I tried the trans brake as I was afraid the trans case might be cracked some where I could not see,the case was fine,the converter is shot.I build a dozen or so powerglides a year for friends and racers.This converter was built just for my index racing,it might need to be different know.How much stall do you like in a heavy car(race only).WHAT NEXT???Chuck

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
tbird2091 said:
I put the 4.88 gear in the bird,run it in on the stands,I heard a noise.I did not think anything about it.When I let the car down I tried the trans brake as I was afraid the trans case might be cracked some where I could not see,the case was fine,the converter is shot.I build a dozen or so powerglides a year for friends and racers.This converter was built just for my index racing,it might need to be different know.How much stall do you like in a heavy car(race only).WHAT NEXT???Chuck
I would order a "custom " stall. It would be around 1200 rpm LESS than your shift point for a glide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts