Discussion Starter #1
'77 F150 all steel, no doors or gate
3.50 gears in f/r
NP 205
33" on 8" douglas front
31" scooper on 16" douglas rear
run low range 300' in sand (for fun)
I typically run cleveland style SBF's. 14:1, big roller, shift at 8000

Sold the small blocks to build another. Inherited a 514 in the meantime and have decided to run it.

Here's what I've got-

10 yr. old 514
4.150 stroke
mildly ported early aluminum CJ's
13:1 comp.
Victor intake, no spacer
Lunati flat tappet .609/.613 252/260 @ .050
Holley HP 950
1.875" rusty hookers (I've already ordered 2" fenderwells)

This motor has run well for years, I raced against it. I'd like to make some improvements and would like suggestions.

Thanks- Caleb

·
Registered
115 Posts
Number one I would ditch the flat tappet cam.

Mech roller. Something along the lines of [email protected] mid 700 lift range.... Bullet/Ultra Dyne, Mike Jones, Howards, and (even) Comp have a number of grinds that will fit the bill. Some will run better than others however.... The Morel Pro Series are very nice lifters for the $$$. I have also had very good service out of the regular roller lifter Howards Cams sells as long as you stay on top of the up keep. Springs... either PSI or PAC, don't settle for anything else.

Second I suggest dumping the 4150 and getting a 4500 Dominator (and matching 4500 flange intake). A Holley PN 8896 or 9375 will run really well on a 514. With a roller like I suggested above you'll be killing at least 20HP running a small carb.

Those 2 things along with bigger headers should gain you about 75-80HP.

After that I would look at getting some serious port work done to the heads. There are 2 really good cyl head porters on this board that would be glad to have your business.

You didn't say what trans, converter and how much your truck weighs but with a 3spd C6 your going to need around 4500 stall. About 3-500RPM more if you have a 1.76 glide and about the same as the 3spd if you have a wide ratio 1.82 glide to start with. I would think you need more gear (espc with a 205 transfer) but I don't know anything about setting up gearing for a sand drag. If your small block is spinning 8000 with a 3.50 axel ratio that 514 will have no problem.
Will

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Number one I would ditch the flat tappet cam.

Mech roller. Something along the lines of [email protected] mid 700 lift range.... Bullet/Ultra Dyne, Mike Jones, Howards, and (even) Comp have a number of grinds that will fit the bill. Some will run better than others however.... The Morel Pro Series are very nice lifters for the $$$. I have also had very good service out of the regular roller lifter Howards Cams sells as long as you stay on top of the up keep. Springs... either PSI or PAC, don't settle for anything else.

Second I suggest dumping the 4150 and getting a 4500 Dominator (and matching 4500 flange intake). A Holley PN 8896 or 9375 will run really well on a 514. With a roller like I suggested above you'll be killing at least 20HP running a small carb.

Those 2 things along with bigger headers should gain you about 75-80HP.

After that I would look at getting some serious port work done to the heads. There are 2 really good cyl head porters on this board that would be glad to have your business.

You didn't say what trans, converter and how much your truck weighs but with a 3spd C6 your going to need around 4500 stall. About 3-500RPM more if you have a 1.76 glide and about the same as the 3spd if you have a wide ratio 1.82 glide to start with. I would think you need more gear (espc with a 205 transfer) but I don't know anything about setting up gearing for a sand drag. If your small block is spinning 8000 with a 3.50 axel ratio that 514 will have no problem.
Will
X2, big power difference between the flat tappet and the solid roller.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts