460 Ford Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Nice build Dave.

Any more details you can share about the build?

Cheers, Bob
No problem what do you want to know?

This was a rebuild of a 557 that I built about 15 years ago for another customer. Its owner had raced it a bunch and he thinks that he's about the 4th owner. Originally it had a set of ported DOVE heads and made around 650 horsepower.

Carburetor was an 1150 Holley on a ported Victor intake. This intake was one that came originally with a 4150 so I cut it down, welded up and redrilled the holes and made it fit a 4500.

Cam is a solid roller from Demos' Cams, with 277 291 at .050 duration ground on a 111 in the engine on 108. .735 .747 lift with .015 and .025 lash. This cam uses the old Reed ULX lobes which are very easy on parts.

Headers are some that go over the frame of the truck but I can't remember the exact dimensions. Fuel was VP leaded racing gasoline that the customer supplied.

Pistons are Diamond flat tops, Rods are Scat 6.800, crank is Scat 4.500 stroke forged.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
No problem what do you want to know?

This was a rebuild of a 557 that I built about 15 years ago for another customer. Its owner had raced it a bunch and he thinks that he's about the 4th owner. Originally it had a set of ported DOVE heads and made around 650 horsepower.

Carburetor was an 1150 Holley on a ported Victor intake. This intake was one that came originally with a 4150 so I cut it down, welded up and redrilled the holes and made it fit a 4500.

Cam is a solid roller from Demos' Cams, with 277 291 at .050 duration ground on a 111 in the engine on 108. .735 .747 lift with .015 and .025 lash. This cam uses the old Reed ULX lobes which are very easy on parts.

Headers are some that go over the frame of the truck but I can't remember the exact dimensions. Fuel was VP leaded racing gasoline that the customer supplied.

Pistons are Diamond flat tops, Rods are Scat 6.800, crank is Scat 4.500 stroke forged.
Thanks Dave

How much comp?

Was that OTB heads?

Cheers, Bob

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I just want to note that there isn’t a BBF head on the market that uses “BBC oval exhaust ports.” This is not a matter of semantics, it’s a fact. (The pattern for the header flange is BBC, however the port is not.)
I stand corrected, as I stated I'm a newbe, just learning the BBF. I was going on the look of this 632 with A460 TFS heads. Ports don't look like "D" to me.

https://www.cnc-motorsports.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/43b911f213c1e12858837017d8eb1e38/c/n/cnc-motorsports_bbf_long_block_web_1_1_1_1_1.jpg

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Thanks Dave

How much comp?

Was that OTB heads?

Cheers, Bob
Around 13.8:1 compression and the heads were in out of the box condition. I got them bare and then assembled them myself with springs, retainers, valves etc that would work well.

About the biggest pain on this engine was just bore size and ring availability. Long ago this block was bored to 4.440 to build a 557. After being used a bunch the bores were pretty worn. Honing them to 4.450 size cleaned them up as good as new but for some reason ring availability isn't very good at that bore size. I was thinking that with 4.440 being very popular that sizes such as 4.445 and 4.450 would also be common simply because at some time those engines will need rebuilding. The next popular size that I could have used would have been 4.466(502 Chevy). Anyway rings are available from Total Seal in that size so that's what I used and they worked very nicely.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts