460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I have an in the works 521 and I'm trying to figure out what intake manifold I should use. Engines going in a 70 torino with a c-6 and 3.91 gears. Street /strip car

Build as follows:
521 10.7 compression ratio
D00E-R heads mild cleanup on exhaust
Solid lifter comp cams 34-652-5 intake-.589 exhaust-.615 on a 108 lsa
Comp 1.73 roller rockers
Quick fuel 950 cfm
Msd ignition
Going to run headers but haven't made up my mind which ones yet

I have an edelbrock performer rpm sitting on the shelf, would the street manners be better with the rpm vs a single plane? I'm not concerned about hood clearance as I will be using a modified hood.

Your thoughts are appreciated

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Guys,

I have an in the works 521 and I'm trying to figure out what intake manifold I should use. Engines going in a 70 torino with a c-6 and 3.91 gears. Street /strip car

Build as follows:
Comp 1.73 roller rockers
Quick fuel 950 cfm
Msd ignition

I have an edelbrock performer rpm sitting on the shelf, would the street manners be better with the rpm vs a single plane? I'm not concerned about hood clearance as I will be using a modified hood.

you haven't said what converter, or rpm band your planning on. but Id use a victor with a 1050

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted to get the engine buttoned up before I had a converter built. It's going to be more of a street car, I'm thinking all done at 6300-6500.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think for the street you'll be happier with the dual plane. Throttle response and seat of the pants feel is better also however, the victor looks better on the motor.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
A Weiand Stealth 8021 would be my first choice. Perfect port match for your CJ heads right out of the box, big plenum volume for your 521, dual plane for improved drivability.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Guys,

Build as follows:
Comp 1.73 roller rockers
Quick fuel 950 cfm
Msd ignition

Put a VICTOR on it. If part throttle cruise and off idle is a big factor, use the 8021.
At 521 cubic inches and 10.5/1 compression ratio ... how far can you spin the tires...?

Put that cam at 101 to 102 intake centerline.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I'm getting different recommendations which is good and what I expected. Of the recommendations so far, none are the intake I already have which is ok too. If I go with the 8021 over the victor, will I be leaving alot left on the table? I am under the impression that the 8021 will have better street manners and the victor will be not as happy at lower rpms but will shift the power further up on the rpm band? So it's a balance as too how I want the car to behave.
Randy, yes it should be a burn out machine, but I will be running a set of drag radials. They hooked hard with the 429 I just pulled out. Whats the reason for installing the cam on a 101-102? Just curious

Thanks again

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
So it's a balance as too how I want the car to behave.

Randy, yes it should be a burn out machine, but I will be running a set of drag radials. They hooked hard with the 429 I just pulled out. Whats the reason for installing the cam on a 101-102? Just curious

Thanks again

YES ... a balancing act.

That is where that cam will run best with a closed exhaust system on those heads at 10.5/1; open headers is a different story.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YES ... a balancing act.

That is where that cam will run best with a closed exhaust system on those heads at 10.5/1; open headers is a different story.

UPDATE:
I have been super busy with kid stuff but recently tore into the engine more and know have more questions. I took one of the heads off and have found that my compression is ALOT higher than I had asked for....

.041 head gasket
.022 in the hole
JE flat tops single valve relief
71cc combustion chamber
My math puts me at almost 13.25 to 1
I did wind up running the performer Rpm intake that I had and made the most overall power with a 830VS holley, engine did not like the 2 double pumpers that we tried.

I checked the cams ICL and it is at 108 which is straight up.

Im not overly excited that my engine builder has put me in the race fuel range at all but at this point... fill it up and enjoy it for what it is. I can always change things up in the future after I get the car on the road. My question is does Randy's suggestion of 101-102 ICL make sense at this compression. I was hoping to run this thing up to 6000 rpm or a little above. Would I want to retard the cam to say a 110-112 ICL to get the power up higher, reason being this thing made 655 ft-lbs and I wont be able to hook up with that at all.( which is fine and fun) If i could kill a little bit of low end torque and gain some mid- upper power, Am I thinking correctly or way off here? Im just trying to make the most of the combo that I now have.

thank you in advance

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That will be in the future for sure, but not in the cards at this time. Just looking to make the most of this current setup and run it.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Interesting, I don't know much about E-85. Do you run it yourself and can you tell me more? Why is Randy no longer?
Randy had trouble logging in or something like that and just decided not to be here, shame really.....a wealth of knowledge and experience.

No i don't run E85 myself, but got a buddy that runs it and has around 13.8 comp and loves it.............google it and learn some more on it if your interested.

Only trouble is not every service/gas station carries it, and uses a little more fuel.

Cheers, Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts