460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm done with the high cost of building the 428FE, plus the low amount of HP per $$$, so I'm going to the 460 engine.
If you're interested in our story read on, if you're not interested in a soap opera story, please skip...馃榾
I just turned 59 yrs old, and due to bad health this will be my last engine for our 427 Cobra we built in 2001. I thought the only,...engine that would cradle the engine bay would be a true to the history, Ford 427 side oiler in the race card or the 428FE in the street cars. We could not afford a original side oiler and finding a block in good condition is difficult and new great new aluminum or iron side oilers or the Shelby FE, although wonderful, are very expensive !

Back almost 15 years ago we saved up the money to have a FE engine builder hired to build a Genesis aluminum side oiler. Well, I'll cut this real short. Several months later, his eldest son went to prison and the younger son went to jail. It caused a divorce, went bankrupt and sold everything, including my block and all the high end parts. He skipped town steeling over $12,000 in our cash and parts. He also stole my spirit for life...

I had a accident as a two year old, split my skull in three piece's, was in a comma for nine days and had lots of brain damage. I had to re-learn to crawl, walk and speak again. I have headaches, migraine and electrical ''zaps'' in my head 24/7. It's very difficult to learn, read, write, socialite, enjoy life and function, but I've never given up !
I had to quit working at age 25 (but I did finish autobody trade school) and worked from home being a mechanic and autobody work, when I could work anyway. I'm s diabetic and in 2007 I had a tooth retracted which got infected, going into my bladder then into my bloodstream, which is called septic blood. I passed away twice, the second after bring flying via medical jet to the Mayo Clinic. I stayed there for 29 days. I'm on 24 medications as all my organs were affected. Three years years ago I was traveling 30 mph in a 35 mph zone when a lady rear ended me in my truck going 60 mph. The impact bent both frame rails up 6", the hitch was only 4" off the ground. The impact shoved my left wrist into the dash braking both bones and four in my hand, the seat belt broke my right hip, so I have a artificial hip.

I was in physical therapy three times per week for 8 weeks for my neck as it broke C-6 vertebra and two disks The owner said in her 16 years of her businesses she had never seen such a worse case of whip lash. All the tissue's below my skull were ripped away, I've had four surgery's. I've had 23 nerves removed from my neck and had surgery to install a Spinal Cord Stimulater with a hand controller to adjust the amount of electrical surgeries help block the nerve pain before reaching my brain. It's not a cure all, but helps 40-45% of the time, better than nothing.

Several years ago when walking my thigh's would fall a sleep, then 14 months ago I started falling for no apparent reason. I've fallen down stairs, front steps, waking etc. I can't help falling, my right leg kicks forward, left leg buckles and I go down. I was coming up the hallway when my arms went up and legs were jerking and my wife said,...go down before you hit the table, but I was telling myself to put my arms and hands forward to catch my falling, but I couldn't, and fell down on my face, I can't control it and it happens so fast. I'm fine sitting or laying down. I was shocked, when my Neurologist told me to walk heal to toe, that I fell instantly. He had me go to UNMC in Omaha for tests, returned the next week and had a video call (don't know what it's called) with a team of Neurologist's at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. I have a very rare brain disfunction that is do rare, they don't even know what to call it. lol but, they do for the affects. Since 1940 there's only 2,400 cases world wide. The Mayo Clinic tried a study in 1983, but had to stop a few months later as they ran out of money. It's so rare that there's not enough funding to have a well done study.
One bad side effect is for some reason, the tissues on all my joints will pull away from all my joints, like gum tissue surrounding our teeth. What feels like arthritis is not, it's pain from the tissues.
One of the Neurologist's said, ..live your life now Kevin.

So, I'm trying to build my engine the way I want it, with max fun power in my Cobra !
We raced dirt winged 360 sprint cars for 14 years,..back many years ago, so I like tons of power in a light weight vehicle, like the Cobra. I may hit the drag track a few times per season, but mainly street fun. I'll probably be replacing the rear tires a couple times per season. lol..馃ぃ
Anyway,...for the non-soap opera reading guys, you can start here. 馃槑

I want maximum power (with what I can afford) mean & nasty idle, as a smooth quiet sound is NOT a 427 Shelby Cobra.

I built my highly polished 304 stainless steel side pipes with no muffler, so the deep sound is awesome.
I'll be back with the information on the 527 stroker engine I bought to discuss the parts I have and what I need with you guys. I need heads, and plan to get them from Kasse's shop. Sounds like he may not have the P-51's for several months, so either his Ford SCJ or the amazing SR-71. I'll get the list of parts I bought, more information and pics.

I have a way cool, stacked EFI to go on top of the 527 !
Here's my pride and joy !
Kevin

Attachments

Registered
Looks excellent. Nice car to. You'll be happier with the 460 when it comes to go power.

Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
Agreed, a lot more reliable and easier to get parts for than the FE you had in it! That is a nice looking Cobra!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed, a lot more reliable and easier to get parts for than the FE you had in it! That is a nice looking Cobra!
Thank you. I painted it 20 years ago and it still looks great. No winter snow & salt ya know. 馃槂
I'm pretty sure the stacks will be coming thru the hood, but I think if I polish then then have them anodized red, it'll look pretty cool, like the gasser and Pro-Street days, which was my era. 馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. I painted it 20 years ago and it still looks great. No winter snow & salt ya know. 馃槂
I'm pretty sure the stacks will be coming thru the hood, but I think if I polish then then have them anodized red, it'll look pretty cool, like the gasser and Pro-Street days, which was my era. 馃槑
I'm thinking about painting my block a opposing color, maybe a candy apple red. I just painted it my body color, but....馃檮馃榾
What do you think ?
A lot of professional car builders are doing just that.

Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
Oh now you're just showing off!! 馃槀馃槀

1 - 10 of 10 Posts