460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This engine has been a work in progress for a couple of years now. It has snowballed from a simple stock rebuild, low compression turbo build to a high compression NA build with a plate.

First off I would like to thank some people.

Adney @ Performance Crankshaft (rotating assembly)
Lem @ BF Evans Ford (Parts, and anything else I need)
Blake Cartright (Cartright memorial camshaft)
Charlie Evans (Ported D3ve cylinder heads)
Lance Flake @ Finish Line (block machine work)

Ported d3ve cylinder heads by Charlie Evans
.100 78.3/52.5
.200 153/97.5
.300 222.3/131.6
.400 276.5/155.3
.500 305.5/165.3
.600 322.8/166.6
.700 334.1/167.5
.750 337.3/168.1
All numbers an average of 8 w/o pipe. 2.200 intake valve & 1.75 exhaust valve.

d1ve, ARP studs, King bearings

Crankshaft, Scat 4.3 Cast

Scat 6.8 forged H-beam rods, ARP rod bolts w/ King bearings

KB forged flat top pistons w/ TotalSeal file fit 1/16 ring package

Top ring gap .023-.025
Second ring .025-.027
Oil ring min .035

Main clearances
1. 3.0030
2. 3.0034
3. 3.0029
4. 3.0031
5. 3.0021
Crankshaft
1. 2.9993
2. 2.9995
3. 2.9995
4. 2.9993
5. 2.9993
Clearance
1. .0037
2. .0039
3. .0034
4. .0038
5. .0028
Crankshaft thrust .006

It's been slow but I think I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope it runs good.

When I input all my information into a DTD this is what it gives me.

Got everything clean and installed the rods on the pistons. Who ever said installing spiral locks was hard, has to be doing it wrong. It took me no time, just using a small screwdriver. By the time my bro had a wrist pin installed I would have one lock done and half way through the second one.
Tech tip: If you are having problems installing spiral locks (triple @ that) you are doing it wrong. Step back and read the instructions.
[/img]

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Started final assembly,

We noticed that the #1 main bearing had the oil passage block that goes to the #1 cam bearing. So we thought about the situation and decided to chamfer the groove on the back of the main bearing. (Only in the location of the oil passage.) All for not though, come to find out that passage is intersected by another passage that intersects the main oil galley.

Crankshaft is torque down to 106ftlbs and spins like butter and thrust clearance messures .006

Went ahead and installed one piston because I was anxious to see how far the piston was down in the hole. To my joyful surprise the piston is only .016 bellow deck. Where the last rotating assembly the pistons where .028 bellow deck.
Now I know that my C/R will be 10.6:1. This is with a 4.420 bore, 4.3 stroke, 4.5 dia x .042 head gasket, 94cc chambers and 3cc pistons.

Pictures to come soon.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One step I kinda left out that I have done so far is my final cleaning.

Before I started assembling the rods and pistons I cleaned everything. I filled a 5gal bucket full of very hot water then added Joy Dish washing detergent. Used a toothbrush and went over every part. Made it a point to go around the ring lands and then inside and outside. Then as each piece was cleaned I rinsed them off in a 5gal bucket of clean hot water. Did this same process with the wrist pins, rods, rings and bearings. The idea is to havve the water hot enough so when you remove the part it starts drying it's self off.
Before I cleaned the rods I took a very small pick and went over every oil passage in the small ends. I noticed there was a little bit of bushing material left from the drill process.
The crankshaft was a whole another beast it's self. I didn't have a safe way of cleaning the crankshaft like I did the other parts. The crank was the dirtiest part of all. So I bought a entire case of Brake Cleaner and went to town with a maroon Scotch Brite pad shop towels, pipe cleaners, .22 rifle bore brush and a small file. Needless to say I stayed away from the journals with the file and SB pad.
The crank cleaned-up reall nice, I made sure I went through every oil passage with the copper rifle brush rinsed and then used the white pipe cleaners to make sure it was clean. Used the small file to knock down some sharp edges from the ballancing process and everything else was just you basic cleaning.

Needless to say before we installed the crankshaft we looked over it one more time. Found where I had missed cleaning one of the large holes in the throws. Cleaned it up real quick, went over with a white cloth and in she went.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We got the rotating assembled and installed this week.
Rod journal side clearance ended up being .019-.020

Pics

I replaced all of the valves springs and checked the installed height. I had Comp 930 valve springs setup at 1.900. Ended up having to and .015 shim to get the Bee-hive springs to setup too 1.900.

I just had to get a look of what the rocker arms would look like! :D

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
Lookin good !

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It might actualy get finished before too long.

We are going to pop two pistons back out because we can't remember if we clocked the rings.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, I try to keep it as clean as I can and keep the AC system on to keep the humidity down. I don't know when it will be wrapped up but I should have the heads and oil pan on this week.

Then check:
pushrod length
piston / valve clearance
cam timing
Oil pump pick-up / pan clearance
Valve cover clearance
Oil pump internals for trash

·
Registered
112 Posts
What compression and cam are you running? Looks like something i would like for p-up. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What compression and cam are you running? Looks like something i would like for p-up. Thanks!
The compression ratio is 10.6:1 and the camshaft is a custom by Blake Cartright. 106 LS, 600ish lift, 200ish duration. I can't really get specific with the camshaft.

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
The compression ratio is 10.6:1 and the camshaft is a custom by Blake Cartright. 106 LS, 600ish lift, 200ish duration. I can't really get specific with the camshaft.
Hey, Big Time !!! LOL

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He asked me not to say, being that he had some customers that are into truck pulling that have simular camshafts. Which you would have to know the lobe numbers also to really make anything out of it. :D

Have no fear, when I go to the solid roller I am going with the super memorial camshaft.

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
He asked me not to say, being that he had some customers that are into truck pulling that have simular camshafts. Which you would have to know the lobe numbers also to really make anything out of it. :D

Have no fear, when I go to the solid roller I am going with the super memorial camshaft.
LOL Tombstone Lobes........

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More pictures to come.

I now have the cylinder heads, oil pan front cover and water pump installed. Getting time to check the push rod lengths and get them ordered.

One of the hardest part so far has been figuring out where I put all the bolts! LOL

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Nice work, Josh!! Real clean.

That DTD sheet looks like it should be a stump puller!!

Nice pics too:D

Bill

1 - 20 of 28 Posts