460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first, great forum and a wealth of information in here.

as you can see from my nick I am a Chevy guy but from time to time have to come to the dark side of life :lol: :twisted: and build for my customers a stout Ford engine. So that would mean that old dogs can learn new tricks !

anyway, I have a customer who recently dumped his 460 remains from his Torino and he wants a sleeper engine which makes around 550hp to 600hp to the wheels, pure street use with very little 1/4 miles races, mostly normal airfields.

I have selected some parts but would like to hear some opinions from the experts in here as I am not the Ford expert at all:

-D1VE block, I believe 1976 heritage from the date codes
-532 stroker kit,
-4340 crank, nitrided
-Eagle H-beam rods with L19 bolt upgrade
-forged Probe piston, about 11.65:1 CR
-Total Seal piston rings
-internally balanced
-Morel mech. roller lifters
-custom grind cam, either from Chris or Jones Cams, in the 108 range with about 0.730" lift, in the 270 deg 0.05" range
-Kaase P51 heads
-custom build sheet metal intake with 1050 Quickfuel carb or SJO high rise intake
-complete elektronix dizzy with box and coil

regarding cam, would anyone be able to give some recommendations what these engines like or what has been proven?
I have rad about so many different opinions in that matter that my head still spins. What could be expected from abover combination in real world terms?

regards

Heinz, Austria
www.coolchevy-raceparts.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
That is'nt going to sound like a sleeper engine anywhere LOL. I think you going to have a hard time staying under 600hp. My recient build was a 528 ci with 10.75.1 comp, procomp headed with a solid flat tappet with 260 duartion at .050 and 650 lift. It 610 hp and 630 torque. If I did it again I would go with little milder solid roller. You have better heads more compression.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
528lightning said:
That is'nt going to sound like a sleeper engine anywhere LOL. I think you going to have a hard time staying under 600hp. My recient build was a 528 ci with 10.75.1 comp, procomp headed with a solid flat tappet with 260 duartion at .050 and 650 lift. It 610 hp and 630 torque. If I did it again I would go with little milder solid roller. You have better heads more compression.
you made 610rear wheel HP (RWHP) with a 260/.05 Solid flat tappet? were the the heads ported? Im interested in your build as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,181 Posts
You might want to PM Damon Sea on here, he has a 532 built that runs its *** off. I also had a 532 and it made a ton of power. My combo: 4.3 cast scat crank, 6.8 H-beam, 4.440 bore, 14.5-1 comp, fully ported DOVE-C's with CJ valves, Crane 272/[email protected], .718 lift 110 lsa solid roller, victor/1250 dominator, 2 inch headers, msd pro billet. No way my motor would have ever passes as a sleeper, maybe a freight train with a big cam! Damon has my old pistons in his combo and I'm sure he's satisfied with the combo. Mine went 1.38 60 foot times in a 2800 pound fox body mustang on 28x10.50 ET Drags. Never got a full pass before eating up the tires. Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,956 Posts
You really don't need a custom sheet metal manifold for the engine. The Ford FRPP H-429 Victor style manifold will do fine, with some mild porting.

You may want to use a little less camshaft. Those P-51 heads are very good flowing heads, and don't require much camshaft.

Hope this helps,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,309 Posts
Well I have to congratulate you on taking the first step in the right direction by coming here. Fords are not like chevies and most Chevy people and engine builders think they are junk because they don't know their head from their azz when it comes to Fords. At least you have proven you are smart enough to search out the information needed and to me that says something about you as a person.

There is plenty of information on the site for you to read. Try the search feature. I would also recommend reading the older posts as well. It is my observation that some of the senior members don't post as often anymore when it comes to questions that have been answered over and over. Jon Kasse is also a member here and has posted information during the P51 stage (as a matter of fact he asked about possible names for the P51 head here on this site). You can also try the "engine build" section for some proven combos.

Good luck and if you hang around long enough you will learn everything you need to know.

ps. welcome to the site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,697 Posts
Heinz,

I have some bad news for you, the 532 you are building will make a LOT more than 600hp :wink: I'd wager more like 750+ :shock:

My 534 with A429 heads pushes my 3200# mustang through the 1/4 at mid 9's and 142mph. I have a little more compression than your customers 532 but the P-51 heads are a little better than mine so I'd say it's a wash as far as power, being very close that is. Will make for a VERY fast street car 8)

Agree with Charlie, use a Victor type intake manifold.

Links to my engine build

http://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=13985

http://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=6304


Good Luck and welcome to the BBF Forum



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
Phantasea466 said:
Heinz,

I have some bad news for you, the 532 you are building will make a LOT more than 600hp :wink: I'd wager more like 750+ :shock:
i think he meant he wants that at the wheels. Im not sure is he will make that,dont really know tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
MauriSSSio said:
528lightning said:
That is'nt going to sound like a sleeper engine anywhere LOL. I think you going to have a hard time staying under 600hp. My recient build was a 528 ci with 10.75.1 comp, procomp headed with a solid flat tappet with 260 duartion at .050 and 650 lift. It 610 hp and 630 torque. If I did it again I would go with little milder solid roller. You have better heads more compression.
you made 610rear wheel HP (RWHP) with a 260/.05 Solid flat tappet? were the the heads ported? Im interested in your build as well.
That was at the flywheel I wish at the wheels
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,854 Posts
In my oppinion, Your build is fine except for two things.
The compression ratio is too high for pump gas yet not high enough to optimize race gas; go to around 12.8/1 with high octane race gas.
Those heads can use regular type cams fine however, they will work better with less intake duration and more exhaust duration than you were thinking.
A "special" grind with 262° intake and 278° exhaust @.050" at around your .730" lift is about right. Lobe seperation will depend upon the final running compression ratio.
Several members here, including myself, can get you one ground.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top