460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm looking for a little engine build advice for some components. I have a 65 Galaxie that my son and I are building in period NASCAR style, with a few upgrades. Thread here: Tremec in my 65 Galaxie

This is my first engine build, I'd like to target 6-700 HP. I have a DOVE block, and I "think" I've settled on on a 532 stroker kit from Eagle or Scat. My question is about heads, cam etc. This will be a pump gas cruiser. No 1/4 mile stuff, maybe a track day (autocross) , but primarily just cool car that we plan to drive and have fun. I "think" I'd like aluminum heads. Price isn't top concern, but I don't want to burn any more cash than I'd have to. I see come eBay aluminum heads Ford Top End Kit 429 460 557 532 NEW Aluminum Cylinder Heads .640 lift 95cc | eBay

I'm sure they are Chinese casting. The seller is near me (SoCal), and claims he does all the CNC work and assembly. Normally the knock of thing would scare me, but with the seller being local I'm a little more inclined to try. If these are a no go, what heads would you suggest, iron or otherwise? I'm thinking about 10:1 compression is the limit for pump gas, and cam advice? I'm thinking hydraulic roller, dual plane and either a big carb or Holley Sniper.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I appreciate it.

Red

Red
Black-and-white Art Font Sculpture Personal protective equipment
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Nice build that's going to be(y).......i like it!!

Here's my opinion.........

Get with the Mad Porter to do you a hydraulic roller cam with solid roller lifters.

Get with Mark O'neal to do you a stroker kit.

521ci 4.39 bore 4.3 stroke
Afr 280 heads
10.5-10.8 compression

Easy 650-700hp on pump gas

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice build that's going to be(y).......i like it!!

Here's my opinion.........

Get with the Mad Porter to do you a hydraulic roller cam with solid roller lifters.

Get with Mark O'neal to do you a stroker kit.

521ci 4.39 bore 4.3 stroke
Afr 280 heads
10.5-10.8 compression

Easy 650-700hp on pump gas

Cheers, Bob
Hi Bob, thank you for the reply. Forgive my ignorance, but hydraulic roller cam with solid lifters? I was thinking hydraulic lifters for ease of set up, lash etc. I'm looking for low maintenance.

Can you give a link for the Mad Porter and Mark O'neal? Why 521 vs. 532....more meat in the bores? The AFR heads are more affordable than I thought. Sorry for all the questions, I'm still learning.

Red

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Chinese castings don't mean much anymore. With the corporations buying head manufacturers and Edelbrock not producing castings, you can pretty much expect it to go that way on anything except sand castings....and who wants those.

You would run a H/Roller cam with H/Roller lifters and that would give you a broader torque curve. I see no point in flat tappet cams anymore.

As Lem Evans put it, there is no point in boring to 4.440. You get about 1 hp per ci, all else being equal, so keep the bore at 4.420 or below. Below is better. If your block can go .030 over, that's where you want to be. Besides, if you go to 4.440 and have an issue that requires another bore, you will have to find a new block.

Bob's layout is spot on.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hi Bob, thank you for the reply. Forgive my ignorance, but hydraulic roller cam with solid lifters? I was thinking hydraulic lifters for ease of set up, lash etc. I'm looking for low maintenance.

Can you give a link for the Mad Porter and Mark O'neal? Why 521 vs. 532....more meat in the bores? The AFR heads are more affordable than I thought. Sorry for all the questions, I'm still learning.

Red
Mark O'neal.......... VigilanteParts.com

Mad Porter.......... Parkland Auto Machine

Like Mark said no need to bore it more than you have to.............you have a nice block their.

With solid roller lifters there is no side loading on roller rockers and premature valve guide wear........just more reliable in a big block ford and only have to check/adjust rockers once a year,

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Red,
I like the galaxie, I am going a similar route with my 67' Fairlane.

I think I've pretty much settled on scj style heads. Kasse is currently out of p51s I think. Anyway, I'm interested to see what you choose, and how it goes.

Is your engine build going to be this winter?

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Red,
I like the galaxie, I am going a similar route with my 67' Fairlane.

I think I've pretty much settled on scj style heads. Kasse is currently out of p51s I think. Anyway, I'm interested to see what you choose, and how it goes.

Is your engine build going to be this winter?
Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it. Just starting to formulate a plan for the build, don't really have a winter here in SoCal :) .I was thinking P-51's as well. Still need to finish the interior. I am restoring the dash pad now, then roll cage, aluminum interior panels. I'm going to lizard skin the headliner and floor.

Red

·
Registered
38 Posts
Red, do you have a build thread or any pictures posted? Sounds like a fun project. Lucky you with no winter. I'm on the other coast, the one in the Midwest with lake effect snow. Yuk.

My bellhousing just came in the mail today, so hopefully I'll be cutting a hole in my fresh firewall.

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Red, do you have a build thread or any pictures posted? Sounds like a fun project. Lucky you with no winter. I'm on the other coast, the one in the Midwest with lake effect snow. Yuk.

My bellhousing just came in the mail today, so hopefully I'll be cutting a hole in my fresh firewall.
Sorry for the late reply. Not build thread but my son did talk me into making some YouTube videos if you'd like a look. The first couple are pretty bad, but I think they get a little better as we go. Working on the car with my son makes it all worth it.

Red

·
Registered
255 Posts
Red, Kaase is out of the P-51 heads and says he does not know when he'll have more, so I bought his SR-71 heads. Great and beautiful. The casting is so good, I'm not going to port match. If I was still racing I'd perform all the work to gain every little HP tricks. There only $300 difference from the P-51.

·
Registered
255 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
They're great over there, I spoke with them the other day. How thick are those spacers? I'm not sure what he gets for a complete sr-71, I'm sure it's a quoted build, lots of questions to make sure the right engine gets sold to the right person.

·
Registered
255 Posts
They're great over there, I spoke with them the other day. How thick are those spacers? I'm not sure what he gets for a complete sr-71, I'm sure it's a quoted build, lots of questions to make sure the right engine gets sold to the right person.
I wish I could had the funds to have them build me my engine, as with my bad health is taking so,.....much time. What did you guys talk about ?

Yeah, details on the details... It looks almost ready to go. Just the pulleys alone are very expensive. So if it is 20k,
it seems like a very good price. Heck, they even include a Moroso oil filter ! 😃

https://jonkaaseracingengines.com/shop/engines/kaase-p-51-engines/

1 - 20 of 36 Posts