460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For what it’s worth I’ve searched and can’t come up with any definitive advice so I’m coming to you guys for help. I had Fitch and it ran ok then all of a sudden it went south because handheld went screwy and I accidentally downloaded some file and sending back to get sorted. Bought a Holley sniper xflow. Had hell getting started, almost gave up. Finally got it started, it ran like a raped ape for about twenty minutes. Stopped to get fuel, left it running because scared I couldn’t get it started again. While fueling the idle started getting erratic, almost died. I finished quickly then hauled ***. I got about a mile then had to turn on my road and it sputtered and died when it came to idle, that was it. Called tech…..ended up changing entire fuel system. Cannot get it running proper. Goes lean on idle, will not stay idling under load. Tech sent a shipping label so sending it back in too! I’m sick of this so I’m going to go to a carb and I need some recommendations. Hate calling Holley because it takes forever to get through if I even can sometimes. If y’all could recommend a good carb and fuel regulator I’d be very appreciative. I think I need a 1050. My estimated hp is 700. 2500 stall with 456 gears. Timing at 16/34(need larger bushing in distributor). Cam is mild, .610 .240’s duration. Afr heads, msd 6 ignition/pro billet. Jomar power cone on top of wieand stealth intake.

I know this is a long read. I really appreciate the help. I’ll need a tps sensor for carb also so something that is plug and play would be great.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's unfortunate. What was fuel system, and was pressure stable under all conditions?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you want any suggestions to make the EFI work or is swapping to a carb a final decision?
Well, I’ve decided to send back the sniper. I tried everything. Isolated any possibilities of rf noise, new fuel system because I was using the fitech command center….went with Holley pump and c5 corvette filter regulator recommended by Holley tech. Read up on setting fast starts which did help starting but didn’t cure it. I summit is going to refund my money.

soooo, I’m sending my fitech in to be worked on and get new handheld and cable. The fitech always fired up and idled really well, had decent acceleration and throttle response but something went wrong and I couldn’t do anything because handheld was glitching to badly. Shoulda just did this first but heard sniper was way better.

reason I’m not going carb is because now trying to save some cash by not dumping a butt load into an entire different setup just to have a million new things to sort out and adding a tps kit, fuel regulator etc.etc.

if I get fitech back and it doesn’t run like it used to then I’m just gonna burn it to the ground and call it an era.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, fuel pressure good. Holley pump and c5 corvette filter regulator with return built in.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Lots of successful Fitech installs out there, should be able to get it dialed in. I can understand your frustration. Good luck.

Reactions: JimL

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
313 Posts
I personally don't have one, but I have seen that the hand held programmer or the cord has been a contention point with the Fitech units... Hopefully that will solve your issues...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd wait for the Fitech too. No probs with mine (Aeromotive supply system)... no problems with 2 Fast efi's too.

Holley fuel injection... I could write a novel with all their issues. They have decent level 3 tech support... because it is soooooo needed. But step 1 is always replace the non-Holley fuel pump. So...

FWIW when hot rodding, a return line system is preferred over a return-less system.

Carb with a tps... will most likely require fabrication. What is the TPS used for... and how did you get the tps signal from Fitech or the sniper?

·
Registered
313 Posts
@JimL you bring up a good point about the return line. I wonder if OP using a large enough return line? When in doubt run a return at least the same size as the feed so you don't create a pressure differential that the regulator can't overcome..

·
Registered
360 Posts
I believe the C5 regulator the OP is using is designed to be mounted under the car back by the fuel tank and the return is built into the regulator so it has a very short return line.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sooooooo, it's got all that head of pressure from the regulator in the back of the vehicle to the front??? IMHO, OP should have the regulator up near the front where the FI unit is then the return line back to the tank... There's a reason that the factory cars do it that way..

·
Registered
745 Posts
I am not a fan of these EFI systems with the ecu mounted in the throttle body. One of worse places for electronics to be besides on a header. Heat soak is a big problem. Sniper has know idle problems since day one. All kind of tricks out there to get them to idle. FiTech lost me when their fuel supply module hit the market before it was ever proven.

If you want to stay with TBI type system go with something like the Terminator or TerminatorX. Proven separate electronics. Plus you gain more cfm 800 for the standard Sniper vs 950 for the terminator. It pays to go buy from someone like EFI System Pros where you can get some actual Holley support.

I don't believe he has a fuel system problem. Regardless of where he has the Corvette filter regulator mounted if it is plumbed correctly, it should be fine anywhere in the system.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Oh I agree on the hot board sentiments, that's the biggest thing that's turned me off the sniper or fitech systems...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts