460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's the build.
545 CID
P-51's Out of the box, Springs for Hyd Roll.
Hyd Roller cam specked by Kaase
Blue Thunder dual quad intake with SCJ ports, out of the box
2 - 600cfm Holleys, progressive linkage, Vac secondary with diaphragms connected
2.25" into 4" headers
Forged internals, splayed center caps
10.5-1 CR
93 octane with a splash of 108

Best run was with 36deg total timing. Dyno owner says my secondaries are flooding when they come in. He recommended dropping a size or two on the metering plates, might be worth 10HP.
These numbers are not nearly as impressive as what you race guys post, but this is built to be a "low maintenance" street motor.
See attached charts. Run 3 was with 34deg timing, run 4 with 36. Run 5 was with 38 which was basically identical to run 4.
Thoughts????

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For those who may not be able to view the attachments...
Peak Hp: 647 @ 5700
Peak Trq: 661 @ 3700 (Note that the pull starts at 3700 and the torque drops off from there, I assume it is higher at lower rpm).

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Nice build, anything done to that intake?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Awesome! I don't think anyone is gonna poo-poo 650hp and torque. Least I wouldn't kick it outta my car.

Only question is this:
Couldn't you have gotten pretty much the same result using SCJ heads instead of P51's? perhaps picked up a lil on the lower end and saved a lil dinero?

just asking out of ignorance really.

Thanks!
Drew

·
Registered
516 Posts
My Blue Thunder dual quad, dual plane (standard port) intake flowed around 260 CFM out of the box, with the upper runners flowing less than the lower runners. After the Mad Porter ported the manifold, it flowed around 315 CFM.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Whats the cam specs?

Seems like to much timing.........28-30 is where the p-51 is best.

Headers too big IMO.

NICE build and thanks for sharing.

What rockers were used?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Nice build you have there...similar numbers as my build....639 @5600 and 670lbs but a little higher up in the rpm 4400....also running p51 with a dual plane but single 850...not directed towards any one but some people frown on using p51 on a "lower" hp build..I know I got some SH!t when I posted my build...but hey.... it works and sets me up a little better when I TT this motor....I consider my motor and "odd ball" build as of now...and yours also.... but we make a little power:D so congrats on the build and numbers.

Edited: I pulled those numbers with 1 3/4 dyno headers... 2 1/4 is way to large. ....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome! I don't think anyone is gonna poo-poo 650hp and torque. Least I wouldn't kick it outta my car.

Only question is this:
Couldn't you have gotten pretty much the same result using SCJ heads instead of P51's? perhaps picked up a lil on the lower end and saved a lil dinero?

just asking out of ignorance really.

Thanks!
Drew
Thanks Drew. I'm sure you are right. Actually, the original plan was to use SCJ heads (at least it was 10 years ago when I started scraping these parts together!) but then the P51's came out and I decided to go ahead and buy big with plenty of room to grow.

My Blue Thunder dual quad, dual plane (standard port) intake flowed around 260 CFM out of the box, with the upper runners flowing less than the lower runners. After the Mad Porter ported the manifold, it flowed around 315 CFM.
Thanks for the info Dan. That is a significant difference for sure. I knew that the intake would be the limiting factor in this build but I just wanted those dual carbs. I will definitely consider porting it when it comes apart in the future.

Whats the cam specs?

Seems like to much timing.........28-30 is where the p-51 is best.

Headers too big IMO.

NICE build and thanks for sharing.

What rockers were used?
Thanks Bob. I agree the timing seems to be too much, all I can say is the numbers don't lie. To be fair I never went that low but we started at 32 then increased by two until 38 for the successive pulls and every time the numbers got better. This leads me to believe that lower than 32 would only get worse?? Can anyone explain this? Everything I have read on this site agrees with Bob's statement about P51's and timing around 30.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Seems like too much timing.........28-30 is where the p-51 is best.
I know that 28 figure gets tossed around a lot, but it's just not true. Ideal timing depends on a myriad of variables. Some engines need more timing that others, even when using the same cylinder head.

hi-jack aside.......NICE BUILD!

:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Headers too big IMO.
Edited: I pulled those numbers with 1 3/4 dyno headers... 2 1/4 is way to large. ....
Thanks for the feedback on this. I really was unsure of how big to go with these. I got a good price for a used set from someone on this site just to get me thru the dyno run. They are basically useless to me now. Probably should have just purchased the adapter plates and then I could have tried different sizes that the dyno shop had in-house (BBC).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know that 28 figure gets tossed around a lot, but it's just not true. Ideal timing depends on a myriad of variables. Some engines need more timing that others, even when using the same cylinder head.

hi-jack aside.......NICE BUILD!

:)
Thanks Carl. That makes me feel more confident about where I ended up.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This would be a great build for my Galaxie. I love the idea of the BT dual quad set up and with those numbers she'd fly well beyond my expectations. I'd go with scj heads though for money sake. I keep beating myself up as to weather build an Fe 445 at 500 hp ala Barry or stick with my 460 stuff for a lot more hp for less money. I've got a ways to go as I just started the resto anyhow. I love both engine fams but you just can't touch those numbers without a big wallet in a Fe.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
516 Posts
BigBlockBehemoth

I am wondering how your engine has been working out for you, and if you have done anything about the too rich A/F ratio.

Dan

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Those are great numbers for a "street motor", I think I just decided on a 545 instead of a 521. I just can't say no to those huge torque numbers, hope I can get close with my SCJ's!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts