460 Ford Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a solid roller ready to go for p-51 heads street/strip build...........when it happens!!.

Cheers, Bob
Nice, to hear. when I was doing my home work I heard everything from roller cam with 740 lift down to mid 500 hydro roller. At some point we need to make an educated guess on how we expect to enjoy the ride. Now my biggest concern is how to get the car to slow down. I think the go fast part is mostly figured out. If I reach 80% of my power output goals, Il be happy. Rear disc brakes may be in the que lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Update The Short Block is home! I have the Blueprint forms in front of me. The Diamond pitsons look great. Lunati 4.5 Crank looks nice too. The shop had adised to go with the 85cc AFR head over the 75cc sighting better flame path, quench area? I have a 4.5 stroke, 6.8 lunati H rods, compression height of 1.250, deck height of 10.305, calculated 10.3.The pistons are 4.3900, effective volume of -18cc and are set u for afr heads. does anyone care to calculate the quench area? Im sure i missed something, I will probably run the felpro head gasket .041.
I used diamond compression calculator and it came up with roughly 10.65 with the 85cc head and 11.6 with the 72cc. please feel free to correct my circulations. the heads are next...which ones? lol

The deck clearance is -.006 + .041 head gasket, does that indicate .047 quench area?
Thank you

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got a good deal on the FAST distributor, new to the door for $220. Its a locked dizzy so keep that in mind. To be honest, I already miss my MSD pro, I like the centrifugal advance,.. this whole fast set up will be a mess if it doesn't work out. I still have the 6al box, guess that will be traded for the fast 6E if anyone is interested
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-XDi-Sportsman-Ford-351C-429-460-V8-Small-Cap-Billet-Distributor-1000-1615/273734601210?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi, Guys
Im settling in on this build and Im pretty excited in the regards to the direction Im headed in. The build consists of a .030 over ford DT9E block, Lunati H beam rods, Lunati 4.5 stroke forged crank and Diamond pistons prepped for the AFR head. I have Scott Main from cam research grinding a solid flat tappet cam. As some may know he holds a few NHRA records and just won 2018 engine masters challenge in the traditional muscle class for a second time. He had some very interesting in site. I explained my goals and vehicle. One item of consideration was I wanted 700+ HP & enough vacuum for power brakes.. And his comment was, I would focus on torque with a vehicle like yours (4800lb lincoln markIII). Lets set it up for 700lb of torque, at 6,000 RPM :eek: .He also recommended the 295 AFR Head. What a great resource!! Thank you Scott Main of Cam research, grind away!
News | Cam Reseach ? Custom Ford Camshafts

Don't know how I missed this thread but glad I found it, like you and the other guy posting I'm building up a 71 Mark III, doing a 545 with AFR heads, torqer II, and Holley XFlow TBI and shooting for 600-625 HP. Scotty J has supplied the parts and knowledge for the engine. I am also eliminating all the vacuum operated gadgets including the headlight doors.

I rebuilt my trans with the kit from Broader and will be getting a torque converter from him or Edge converters with 2500 stall and 3.25 gears out back.

I saw a post on a lincoln forum from a guy who converted his headlights to electric, he found these cool little electric motors that bolt in place of the vacuum canisters and can be ordered with whatever travel needed, he used 75mm versions so that is what I bought. Will be installing them over the winter or in the early spring. I can post a picture of them, $40 each, much cheaper than the ebay version. The speed of the actuators can be chosen as well.

I also have a 69 Mark III parts car that I've been taking apart and selling off the pieces, if you need anything let me know and maybe I'll have some bits you need.

These are great cars, nice to drive and the wife actually likes it, which is nice....

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Very interested in your build. I have the same bottom end but have SCJs. Will be going solid roller since my intended use is a bit different. Mostly strip use in a 2000lb fiberglass '32. Short shaft C6, 3000 stall converter and 3.89's in a 9" with a spool. Wanted to use torque not rpm so it'll be shifted around 6200.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts