460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

This post is kind of long , so read at your own risk. LoL
I’m a new member to the site , but I’ve been reading the posts for a while , and i like what I’m reading most of the time .

I am a two stroke guy at heart, I’m heavy in to Vintage Snowmobile ice oval racing. I build new clone chassis for 1973 Polaris Starfire and Yamaha SR.
I am a 27 year union specialty Sheet metal fabricator by trade .
I am not well versed to Four stroke anything , so I have a lot to learn , and I’ll be 50 years old this fall.

I don’t want to piss anyone off and I’m not looking for hard learned info for free. I’m looking for general direction help. Also recommendations on a good Ford BB builder in my area as well, but I’m not afraid to travel to another state for good quality .

1. Intended use ( Date night cruiser , Silver Lake Sand Dunes, beat the occasional punk kid on the street.)

2. Vehicle info (weight/gearing/trans)
1997 F-350 4x4 , Speed density EFI junk, E4OD , 3.55 gears , curb weight 5200lbs.
I plan on using 33” to 35” tires.

3. Fuel desired to use ( 91-93) pump gas

4. Parts you already have ;
Early 70’s Lincoln or Truck blocks
One that is torque plate bored 4.388”but needs torque plate honed yet.
Another that is torque plate bored 4.398”, but needs to be honed as well , this block has humidity rust from siting in a bad spot.

5. Proposed Budget ( $10,000 to $12,000 )

6. Location this may help to find a good machine shop ( Kalamazoo Michigan )

My goal would be to have a great running 545ci 11.5 CR ,engine with 575-625 hp
and 675-750 trq. ,5500-6500 peek rpm .
I was thinking of having the engine builder use a Eagle forged rotating , internally balanced assembly #15013030 .
Milodon 11450 4 bolt main caps , and main cap girdle and stud kit.
Some type of Fluid dampener. Not sure what is best suited for this project.

Kasse or Melling or Summit high volume oil pump ,Not sure weather Low pressure or High pressure on the oil pump, being a street type low RPM engine. Thoughts ?

For out of the box potential I’m leaning towards the AFR 295 (85cc) Trick Flow 290 heads . Both with the raised exhaust port.
Not sure which type is better ?
They are listed to be good for 521CI.
Not sure which type are better ?
Or if we would need a 325 Type head?
I figure any of the heads listed above will give me good platform for future power expansion if the time comes .

Mad Dog makes a nice set of 2” primary ,3.5” collector headers for this
1995-97 F-350 chassis , hopefully that is the correct size for this to work. Thoughts ?

I’ve always wanted a Hyd. Roller cam , but I see a lot of guys have a Great dislike for them, due to alignment issues.
I like the MadPorter’s approach though with the Hyd. Roller cam and solid roller lifters, I read about that in a different post on this site. An off the shelf cam is fine, I would also pay for custom if that gets me what my end goal is.
My goal is a cam that will make power at 1400-1600 rpm up to 5500-6000+
My thoughts are Hyd. roller
265/275 , 214/[email protected] .625/.635lift, 110degree.
Low duration so I don’t have to run a 2500-3000 stall with my overdrive trans., and because of the trucks weight.
I’m open to options or opinions on this, to meet the end goal.

Was leaning towards Comp. Cams Ultra Pro magnum XD roller rockers for longevity and performance . Probably a rocker arm stud girdle kit as well , if that is needed for this assembly to last. Thoughts ?

I have plenty of room under the hood for a good intake , cowl hoods are available for this chassis and I’m not opposed to it if it helps the end goal.
I’m leaning towards the
Edelbrock Performer RPM Air gap intake ,
Dual plane ,1500-6500 rpm range.

Or Weiand Stealth intake , dual plane non air gap , 1000 to 6800 rpm range.

Thoughts on this ?

Carb or EFI ?
The truck is currently OEM Speed density EFI , they make kits to convert to Mass Air for about $1600, but then you still need big enough injectors and big enough throttle body to feed the 545.

Or change over to a FAST EZ EFI 4150 style. And a stand alone controller for the E4OD trans.

Or a 1050 Quick fuel carb , not sure on the drivability of these on the street ?
And a stand alone controller for the trans.

Thoughts on the Carb. Verse EFI ?

Thank you to those that took the time to ream this and had time to reply.

Randy

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think at those cubes you could get away with alot more cam than what you listed, sounds like it will be a fun truck when done.

·
Registered
109 Posts
dude u got the bones for a clegg engine 545, use a good set of aluminum heads comp cam msd electronics and go fuel injection use the sniper I use the fitech dual 1200 hp sys on my blown 545 and you need to almost be a engineer to dial it in but at least very informed on drivability fast is good but sniper has them beat I believe but if you go carb call edlbrock they have a nice selection on new gen avs carbs cleggs stroker kit is around 1400 bucks and comes with everything balancer flex plate crank rods pins rings bearings they tell you on there web site what the calculated cr is so you can get a idea on what cc head to run to stay in the pump gas area I am in the 114 plus area but fun :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Over simplified but... they are all just air pumps.

From the 460 build post (link below), a larger engine needs similar airflow components (carb/efi, intake, heads, exhaust) for the desired HP (e.g. 625-650). But with the larger displacement, the desired HP would come in at a lower rpm range... so... compression could be slightly reduced and the custom cam would be different (consult w/ SJ)... both tailored for the application (mostly street).

With a lockup converter, a 2500rpm plus stall should not be a problem.

Sounds like a fun ride!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the reply’s .

JimL

Where would you recommend the CR be for this build ?
Rough idea on cam ? If you would share , if not no big deal.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I would say ditch the 4 bolt caps and main cap girdle and studs. By the time you bought the parts and paid machinist time you can buy an A460 block.

With close attention to clearances a standard oil pump is plenty or one of Paul Kane's pumps.

Go with Holley Sniper EFi. Better support and larger user knowledge base.

10:1 compression should be plenty enough.

Edelbrock RPM Air Gap will serve you well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MonsterMiler
Are you saying that I don’t need the main caps and girdle?
Because of cost , and because it’s not needed ?
Or are you saying I need the Sportsman Eliminator type block ?

Thank you

·
Registered
41 Posts
Agree on the caps - not needed. 10:1, (10.5 max) on the compression ratio, too. Could probably pull 600hp with only 9.5:1... 545 is a lot of cubes. I've run 11:1 on premium pump gas (472 cid) but it takes a little fore thought... heart shape chambers, flat top pistons, 035 quench, attention to intake closing point (affects dynamic compression ratio), 32-34 degrees max. timing, and had to upgrade to a high torque starter.

Anyway, I've never built a 545 stroker... lighting the tires up at 90mph w/ a 472 is enough (er... too much) torque for me. So, I cannot spec a cam for a 545... reach out to Scotty/SJ.... the Mad Porter for cam recommendations. Also, unless you enjoy rebuilding different combos, recommend contacting PPAM for a quote: build, dyno, and ship a long block with your hp/torque and application requirements. I believe, with their 460 build expertise, you'd be money ahead because it'd be right the first time. Just my opinion.

20180714_230005.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just as an FYI you might want to check out Bo-Port, i know they have a facebook. Its a performance shop out of Carson City. Mostly 2.3 turbo stuff, but they are getting into the OBS efi ford trucks and have some cool packages.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Agree on the caps - not needed. 10:1, (10.5 max) on the compression ratio, too. Could probably pull 600hp with only 9.5:1... 545 is a lot of cubes. I've run 11:1 on premium pump gas (472 cid) but it takes a little fore thought... heart shape chambers, flat top pistons, 035 quench, attention to intake closing point (affects dynamic compression ratio), 32-34 degrees max. timing, and had to upgrade to a high torque starter.

Anyway, I've never built a 545 stroker... lighting the tires up at 90mph w/ a 472 is enough (er... too much) torque for me. So, I cannot spec a cam for a 545... reach out to Scotty/SJ.... the Mad Porter for cam recommendations. Also, unless you enjoy rebuilding different combos, recommend contacting PPAM for a quote: build, dyno, and ship a long block with your hp/torque and application requirements. I believe, with their 460 build expertise, you'd be money ahead because it'd be right the first time. Just my opinion.

I could barely keep mine on the ground with a 418 Windsor.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Scotty J helped me spec out my 557 cam even though I was purchasing my cam from another source. He was out of cores and had several orders waiting to be filled. I must say his cam specs must have been spot on. This thing runs much better than I thought it would with TFS 290 heads. I did purchase my rotating assembly, custom distributor and Jomar rocker girdle from him. I don’t like to waist anyone’s time. I like to purchase parts from folks that know their business and are willing to go the extra mile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts