460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 55 ford pu.It was passed down from my father.Truck was built in the early 80's. Its got a gibbons front crossmember with cordoba suspension parts. I had a 390 alluminum heads roller cam etc. As shown in 1 of the pictures. Motor spun a bearing ran out of work sold all 390 parts. Bought a junk 74 ford log bed with 460 and c-6 trans all with less than 1000 miles for $300.oo hauled truck off for scrap so have $50 in the c6-460. Got 460 mounted with a fresh coat of paint. Got on here and did some casting # checking. the 460 has a D9te-ab block d3ve-a2a heads with a D00E-b2 balancer. The bottom of oil pan has 86 on it. I started the 460 in the donor truck to make sure it was good. Had a 800dp holley with a mallory unilite distributor and headers on the 74.Heres the problem the block is 79 and it has the 74 flexplate and balancer sleeve. I pulled the pan to check # on crank and its the 3ya so its got the wrong sleeve and flexplate. There is no metal in the pan. Looking threw the spark plug hole its got the dish pistons and I want to try to pull a little more power out of it. What are my best $ options with what I have to work with. Truck has a 9-inch rear with a 3:89 gear with a posi. So the motor was run for 500-1000 miles with the wrong parts do you think its hurt? Thanks chad

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
If you start it up and it vibrates like crazy, then you need to put the later external balance parts on it...flywheel & hatchet weight behind the balancer.

·
Registered
724 Posts
55 F100

Nice truck! I have a 55 F100 too. You need the correct spacer with the hatchet weight and correct external balance flex plate as another poster said. I think you will find the torque of the bigger cubic inches in your truck is great! The F100's really like the big inch motors to get the weight moving, and with your 3.89 rear gear it should be quick! Good luck with your build!

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Very nice truck Chad. Yes the 3Y crank is an external balance. Like Greg said, you'll need an externally balanced flexplate and the "hatchet" weight on the crank snout. That in itself should net you some more ponies. Good luck with the build and keep us informed...
Rob

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This week im going to get the right flexplate and sleeve so i can slide it back in the truck. I ran it for a little bit before I pulled it out of other truck. It didnt seem to vibrate to much so hopefully the internals are ok. would like find me some aluminum valve covers and a aluminum intake for it.a guy about an hour south here has some c9ve heads with new valves ready to go for $350.00 thought about pick up those and swaping out to bump up the compression.Maybe a small cam. I like a little sound. thanks chad

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds nice. When I had the 390 in mine I had the heads ported and had a .600 .600 252-262 duration @ .50 solid roller It had a nice sound.I cant afford to do this engine this way yet. I would be happy the cam you got. some more compression maybe some head porting and mine will do fine till on a budget.I thnk im gona like the 460 based engines better, and a little cheaper for the most part. thanks chad.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Is it possible the PO had the assembly balanced to be internal with the 3Y crank? I don't know if can be done for sure but I can't see why it couldn't. If it doesn't vibrate then I would look at the crank and rods to see if there are signs of a balancing job. I hate to see someone spend the money to put the "right parts" on it when it was rebalanced to be neutral balance. Do some investigating first is my advice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An update, I put the right flywheel and hatchet on it. I drove it a bit. Runs really good.Had a straighit up timing chain,. I ditched the mallory and put a duraspark in. I decided to change a few things. I got a set of doves, I am porting them myself off of scottys site. I got a voodoo cam, 2500 stall, a performer rpm intake, a set of roller rockers to go in it. The builder pistons are 035 in the hole so I am gonna slip it apart for a decking and put it back together. Should pep it up a bit. thanks chad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts