460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this stroker kit from Speedway and am very interested to hear from anyone who has bought this one. I am building a strictly street BB and drool at the prospect of having 553 inches of Ford power to intimidate Camaros with. At $1295, I am wondering if there are any known issues with this kit. I plan to keep rpm's well under 6000 so I don't see the cast heads lower cfm as a problem and I will not race except to determine the best et for my car build.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
I saw this stroker kit from Speedway and am very interested to hear from anyone who has bought this one. I am building a strictly street BB and drool at the prospect of having 553 inches of Ford power to intimidate Camaros with. At $1295, I am wondering if there are any known issues with this kit. I plan to keep rpm's well under 6000 so I don't see the cast heads lower cfm as a problem and I will not race except to determine the best et for my car build.
Thanks
Spend wisely ... you usually get what you pay for.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks
a 553 is bigger than a 521 but both make lots of power. if your looking for a cheap kit Gary Yeomans in daytona fl. has a ford motorsport 521 kit for $1050 with good parts his add is on racingjunk.com

·
Registered
267 Posts
stroker kit

Don't forget balancing cost about 200 ish and hypereutectic pistons ? they're ok but if you ever want to step it up a notch you'll be saying I would try some nitrous buuuut I bought hypereutectic pistons or lets turn it a little tighter buuuuut those pistons ? But if you have more self control than me (most people do ) and you will be happy with some power than the kit looks ok on paper . The yeoman kit looks better

·
Registered
817 Posts
Don't forget balancing cost about 200 ish and hypereutectic pistons ? they're ok but if you ever want to step it up a notch you'll be saying I would try some nitrous buuuut I bought hypereutectic pistons or lets turn it a little tighter buuuuut those pistons ? But if you have more self control than me (most people do ) and you will be happy with some power than the kit looks ok on paper . The yeoman kit looks better
iknow that nitrous and hyper. pistons r not a good thing but lots of guys r spraying them myself included and have been for awhile if the tune is on they will last.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hypereutectic pistons can work well for many years, but they are not as friendly to tune-up issues. If you have some detonation for example, you can hurt those pistons much faster than a forged piston. The forged piston is just more friendly in that area.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks
In my opinion you should not take short-cuts on the bottom end. Build it as strong as you can afford that way you will have more options down the road. It would be pretty embarrassing to be intimidating a camaro and have your $1295 stroker fly all over the pavement.
JMO

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The Ford motorsport kit would be a better deal. Believe Lem sells same kit as guy down in Florida. I would not waste my time on any cast piston, forged is much better choice. I would not bother going .080" over to get the extra 12 ci. Better idea is go .030" and have a thicker cylinder wall. Thinker walls tend to seal better, not to mention leave room for a future rebuild...

Steve

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Yeoman's is now $1150 and seems to be a better set of parts. Thanks.
"Parts is parts" ... what kind of follow-up service do you think you'll get after the purchase...?

I hope for your sake, it won't make any difference to you.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Some of you just assume it is junk because of the price but I have actually talked with them about the stroker kits and it is not a bunch of bottom dollar stuff they do not mark the kit up as much as places such as the Mustang depot (same exact kit is $200 more). Service after the sale not sure on, I have bought from speedway before and the buying experience was good very friendly folks if you have a question they will get the answer. Now on the other hand buying a kit from a vendor more than likely they will know if their are some quirks to the kit as they have actually installed the kit themselves and probably easier to work with if there is an issue.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Some of you just assume it is junk because of the price but I have actually talked with them about the stroker kits and it is not a bunch of bottom dollar stuff they do not mark the kit up as much as places such as the Mustang depot (same exact kit is $200 more). Service after the sale not sure on, I have bought from speedway before and the buying experience was good very friendly folks if you have a question they will get the answer. Now on the other hand buying a kit from a vendor more than likely they will know if their are some quirks to the kit as they have actually installed the kit themselves and probably easier to work with if there is an issue.
Number one rule in any machining operation is : Never Assume Anything..Check Everything. So, are we going to assume it's a great piece that just happens to be lower in price than everyone elses? And yes,there are exceptions to every rule.... there is such a thing as "seconds" and even rejects, only thing left to do is flip a coin.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hypereutectic pistons can work well for many years, but they are not as friendly to tune-up issues. If you have some detonation for example, you can hurt those pistons much faster than a forged piston. The forged piston is just more friendly in that area.
Are the pistons the only issue?

·
Registered
897 Posts
No. First...the link errors out. Second if it's internal balance (it is) and a Scat cast crank you're looking ar five or six slugs of Mallory. So 450 to 600 to balance a cast crank.

Tally HO!

·
Registered
118 Posts
i bought a kit from clegg 1400 balanced pistons rings clips rods everything they use scat stuff i have it in a 871 blower car runs great

1 - 17 of 17 Posts