Kasse Oil pump
Moroso rear sump eliminator pan

Heads

Iron CJ's Fully Ported by Scott Johnson Intakes just reaching 390 @.800"
Comp 947's, Ti retainers, Kasse +.100 valves, Comp girdle

Delta Cam Scotty J spec'd 276/286 @ .050 .752"/.771" on a 113 Lb sep

New TFS Intake 4500
1250 Qfuel carb

On the third pull we hit my goal for above 800 horsepower !
Ran 11 more pulls to fine tune jets, carb spacers, timing, headers, and fuels.

Ended making 845hp & 712tq

Dyno sheets attached.

All runs were with Hedman Hustlers fenderwell exit truck headers with 2" x 3.5"(EGT Bungs) On the 836hp pull the oil temp got high at the end and engine was shut down and recorded the low oil psi on the graph, Next pull it was right back.

On the 845hp run there no EGTs as those were my 2 1/4" x 4" Uprights ceramic coated.

I am very pleased with the results to say the least. All info and parts from members and venders on this site. Dyno sheets below.

Thanks, not in any particular order for either parts or advice from a-z

Scott Johnson
Lem Evans
Randy Malik
Frank Merkle

·
Registered
318 Posts
Very Nice, that should sling some mud!

This should be linked to every post when people come on the site wanting to order parts from the box stores. This shows why you buy parts and services form the board members, they know what works and it shows in the numbers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What is the compression on this beast? I believe this is the highest horsepower I have ever seen on this site from Iron Cobra Jets!!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
What is the compression on this beast? I believe this is the highest horsepower I have ever seen on this site from Iron Cobra Jets!!
I would say by the pistons he's using and the heads it's probably around 13:1 compression or so,i could be wrong though.

Later Mark.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Nice numbers..... Chevy iron ain't got nothing on big ford stuff.

I just finished an engine with these max effort heads from Scotty also that made very close to these numbers. I would like to try a Dominator on the one I built but we are limited to 514 cubes and a 4150 carb (SV1's not allowed.)

I love seein 800 plus on 40 year old iron...... this rocks !!

·
Premium Member
9,273 Posts
Mark, thanxx for sharing...

No matter how many times i see the numbers it still amazes me that a casting desinged in the late 60's can support that much power.

Rock and roll and tear them chevys up...

:D :D :D

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
557" build

Thanks Guys,

This engine was thought out over a 2-3 year question & answer period LOL as well as parts aquisitions.

Gary,

The pistons are JE flat tops(Actually originally from you through JB3 in Seattle) and we milled the heads some 30thou. So that 13.9-14 was max comp ratio with what I had. The DOVE block is actually good for another bore about .020-.025 or so. On the next build barring any issues over the 2011 race season, new pistons will be needed and at that time I could get some small domes(15-1) because I will need custom pistons anyways. A possible cam change at that time could be contemplated. It would be cool to approach the 875-880 hp level. The HP would probably come in some 500-800 RPM higher I would think.

Later Mark

PS: I guess I should mention that the engine was built all costs in carb-pan/dampner-flywheel for about 13g. Myself and a buddy with excellent engine building skills did all of the assembly and blueprinting, so that saved quite a bit plus we learned alot. Dyno costs were on top of this of course.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Thanks Guys,

This engine was thought out over a 2-3 year question & answer period LOL as well as parts aquisitions.

Gary,

The pistons are JE flat tops(Actually originally from you through JB3 in Seattle) and we milled the heads some 30thou. So that 13.9-14 was max comp ratio with what I had. The DOVE block is actually good for another bore about .020-.025 or so. On the next build barring any issues over the 2011 race season, new pistons will be needed and at that time I could get some small domes(15-1) because I will need custom pistons anyways. A possible cam change at that time could be contemplated. It would be cool to approach the 875-880 hp level. The HP would probably come in some 500-800 RPM higher I would think.

Later Mark

PS: I guess I should mention that the engine was built all costs in carb-pan/dampner-flywheel for about 13g. Myself and a buddy with excellent engine building skills did all of the assembly and blueprinting, so that saved quite a bit plus we learned alot. Dyno costs were on top of this of course.
Hi Mark,
Those pistons sure get around LOL. They were originally in a 557 D00E-R motor much like yours. It had a Victor with a 1050, Lunati 276/284, .735 on a 110° CL. It made 820 @ 6500. One thing you can try if you have the clearance is advance the cam. Sometimes the motor just likes that phase and picks up all the way through. Give that some thought if you want to upgrade with new pistons and have them made with deeper intake reliefs. Good luck, and let us know how it does.
Gary,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great job!

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quench

About .036" depending on how much Alum rod length growth from heat (.010-.015")
No valve marks on pistons upon inspection last year.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
WOW! .036" with aluminum rods! lol you DO like to live dangerously! lolol So, I take it that the .036" is a 'factored' figure not an actual static clearance then?
Rob

1 - 20 of 26 Posts