460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 565” 2007 rebuild:

Many of you have probably seen the dyno sheet from the new 935 Hp engine here in one of my posts; this is how I got there:

The “old” combo made 856 HP at 6,600 rpm’s & 712 lbs trq at 5,800 with 10.8: 1 comp., A-460 heads that flow 404 at .750 and a Motorsport A-460 single intake.

I freshened up the engine in July because after moving 3 times over the last 4 yrs the boat set out and even though it was covered the engine got a bunch of moisture in it. Damn!!
Since it had to come apart anyway I decided to put it back together with some parts that I had on the shelf for 5-6 yr’s.

I had a Trick Flow Hi-Rise single plane intake that I purchased when they first came out and I had a second set of A-460 heads that my friend Geoff Mummert of Mummert Machine and Development did for me 5 yrs ago. He totally re-shaped the combustion chamber (apple shape) for high swirl effect since these heads came for someone else they had been decked and with the combustion chamber re-work they were 12 cc’s smaller than the old heads, coming in at 66cc’s which raised the compression to 11.8:1.

The heads were built with Manley 2.4” Ti intake’s and 1.88” ss ex valves with Isky Tool Room valve spring’s. The heads flow nearly identical to those listed in the cylinder head thread with 450 cfm’s at .750 lift. ( It would be interesting to find out the differance. The engine was dyno'd with a set of Tool room valve spring's that someone else ordered for me. I think they were set up at nearly 725 lbs open. They were altogether and I didn't want to change them. After the dyno runs I made a few changes including pulling that set of spring's an replacing them with a set of Tool Room's that are 645 lbs open to take advantage of the low weight of the Ti valves.)

I was using the same roller cam that Danny Crower @ www.crowerpower.com ground for me yrs ago, but to take advantage of the new head flow number’s I purchased a set of T&D 1.8 shaft rocker’s. .433 lobe lift = .781 and .438 = .788 ex lift .
The cam is dur @ .050 278/285 adv dur 317/325 lobe sep 113 .
Cam work's great with or with out Nos.

Part's list 565: 4.60 x 4.25

A-460 Block,Crower/SVO crank,Crower Rod's 6.536", Crower
Roller Cam, A-460 Head's (2.4" Ti intake, 1.88 ss ex), Arias
Piston's(coated),Total Seal zero gap rings,T&D 1.8 shaft
Rocker's, Manton Push Rods, Trick Flow Hi-Rise intake,
1050 Dominator.

My original thought was to get it on the dyno and run the old FordMotorsport intake and then switch on the new Trick Flow Hi-rise for a back-to-back run. Unfortunately that didn’t happen because we lost a few hrs (3.5) with various problems with the dyno set-up. Headers didn’t fit, re-done carb didn’t work, just crap that cost us a bunch of time, and this dyno facility isn’t cheap and I wasn’t getting any deals for the day. It was run on a DTS dyno by the way. The carb problem really pissed me off because I had sent it to a guy here in So Cal that is supposed to know his **** and it didn’t work correctly. I should have driven home and got my C & S 1,100 aerosol billet carb and put on for the dyno run’s but I decided I wanted to figure out what was wrong with the carb that I had just spent a bunch of money on.

Anyway here are a few pictures’ and a copy of the dyno sheet(s) I’ll add the observed sheet when I get a chance. You notice it’s a single carb, no vacuum pump and an old style Dooley 12 qrt oil pan. These runs were also made with out Mobil One in the engine. From past experience we have found that Mobil one oil has added 12-15 hp to this engine. I also know that there is HP to be had with the addition of a vacuum pump and a Steph’s kick out oil pan and screen windage tray.

I'm very happy with the Trq curve on this engine, but the "fast burn" high swirl chambers that Geoff did are awesome; check out those BSFC number's it's an average of .366. and the low's are fantastic. I don't know what Nascar BSFC's are but this engine has the lowest of any I have seen and that would be 12 of my engine's big and small and at least another 40 engine's that I have been around while they were running in various dyno room's and that doesn't include the Engine Master's competition.

Keep in mind that these #'s were made with an old Holley 9375 1050 cfm's that I had Barry Grant (from the old days) re-do for me in 1992. The engine was pulling 1" of manifold vac at 5,800 and 1.4" at 7,000. It is basically sucking through a straw. If I get any extra money this Winter I would love to pull the engine out of the boat. It takes less than 1hr. and re-run the eninge with Mobil One and my C & S carb ( I think it wet flow's 1,250) it could top 960 HP easily. Here's the C & S carb:

G-Code

Jon

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here's the dyno graph on the engine:
[/img]
This graph was hard to read because it wasn't printed on the horizontal so I graphed it out by hand it is easier to read this way:

[/img]

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mark,

It's just a fast family "ski" boat. It does idle between 900-1,000 rpm's with a slight lope.

It should be fun this coming Summer. It currently run's 98 mph off the Nos at 6,200. It should pull to 6,800 on the bottle at approx. 110 mph.

G-Code

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Update:

A few new pictures:

Fresh valve job with 2.4" Ti valves and beryllium seats and my stiffer Tool Room valve springs re-installed. 720lbs over the nose.

New Carb:

My new Pro-System 1,200 on the left vs my old 9375 1,050.

New pan:

All back together:

Ready to run:

I wanted to see how my old Hooker Super Comp headers bolted up.

Back in the boat and fired on the 4th spin of the engine:

The engine also received a Kaase oil pump with a rear pick-up position. We did a bit of P/V clearancing and was able to retard the cam 5* from where it was so it is now running "straight-up". Intake opening had been set at 30.5* it is now set at 25.5*. I did want to see what the changes did to the power curve. I'd like to think 970 hp +/- 10 hp at 7,200.

I was going to take it to Westec and dyno it but I ran out of time and money :( I decided to save the money and dyno it when I get new pistons for it (10.5:1 vs 12:1) and make it a 900 HP pump gas engine, maybe next year. Or this combo might go through 2011 river season. I'm not sure yet ????

G-Code
Big Inch Ford Lover

1 - 7 of 7 Posts