460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my BF Evans / Jet Boat Bob built 572 pump gas street engine... to be installed in my 1970 Torino GT

A460 Block (4.5 bore)
Scat Forged crank (4.5 stroke)
Scat Forged H-Beams
Diamond Forged dish pistons (10.6:1)
P-51 out of the box (Ti retainers, standard P51 valves)
Full solid roller, custom grind roller cam, FRPP roller rockers
Jomar stud girdle
MSD 351w distributor w/ bronze 460 gear.
FRPP alum. water pump
FRPP t. chain set .
Kaase oil pump
FRPP A521 damper
ARP head sud kit
FRPP victor style intake
QFT 1050 Dominator
Jomar power cone spacer

A huge thanks to Lem Evans for his *exceptional* customer service (and hospitality). I sent an email to Lem asking about building an engine for me. I got a CALL back within an hour! Lem took the time to talk to me about my goals, worked out some of my questions on unknowns... came back to me in a few days time with a price quote... and after a few changes, ADDITIONS and modifications came within dollars of his original quote... NO hidden suprises.

Big thanks for a job well done to Jet Boat Bob, super nice guy beautifull job on the build!... and Mike from Automotive Machine & Perf for the dyno session and help packing the big block for the long rige home!

Shane

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep in mind this is NOT a max effort build. this engine was built as a 100% street deal, on pump gas... so compression is relatively low at 10.x:1... not an overly agressive cam profile... and the "smaller" 1050 carb... im sure it would make more power with more carb... but I wassnt looking for a specific number at a high RPM... as a street car, its a rare time it will spin past 5000... and likely NEVER north of 7000rpms... thats why it really meant nothing to me if it made a million horse at 7500... i was VERY happy to see the 749 at 6100... and more importantly the torque... over 700 ft lbs at 4200... that aught to help move this heavy beast!

chassis will be done over the winter

Shane

· Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Nice numbers! It is good to see more people building nice pump gas combos!!! You got mine by about a hundred ponies. I can tell you that thing is gonna be fun as hell to drive:D!

· Registered
563 Posts
nice build..... I have a 71 gt also. there is a difference between a pump gas motor and a pump gas street motor...... that is why I ask about the cam and carb. I see builds that are "pump gas" but have near .800 valve lift with 285+ at .050 roller cams.....I like to refer to these as "pump gas bracket motors". what are the plans for the chassis?

wayne

· Registered
170 Posts
nice build ? on a/f ratio

Here is my BF Evans / Jet Boat Bob built 572 pump gas street engine... to be installed in my 1970 Torino GT

A460 Block (4.5 bore)
Scat Forged crank (4.5 stroke)
Scat Forged H-Beams
Diamond Forged dish pistons (10.6:1)
P-51 out of the box (Ti retainers, standard P51 valves)
Full solid roller, custom grind roller cam, FRPP roller rockers
Jomar stud girdle
MSD 351w distributor w/ bronze 460 gear.
FRPP alum. water pump
FRPP t. chain set .
Kaase oil pump
FRPP A521 damper
ARP head sud kit
FRPP victor style intake
QFT 1050 Dominator
Jomar power cone spacer

A huge thanks to Lem Evans for his *exceptional* customer service (and hospitality). I sent an email to Lem asking about building an engine for me. I got a CALL back within an hour! Lem took the time to talk to me about my goals, worked out some of my questions on unknowns... came back to me in a few days time with a price quote... and after a few changes, ADDITIONS and modifications came within dollars of his original quote... NO hidden suprises.

Big thanks for a job well done to Jet Boat Bob, super nice guy beautifull job on the build!... and Mike from Automotive Machine & Perf for the dyno session and help packing the big block for the long rige home!

Shane
really nice build,does the A/F ratio look a little lean?what should it be for this hp level?would the pump gas make it run a little lean like this?

· Registered
170 Posts
fast reply

It looks lean but lost power with more jet. I suspect it may have something to do with the sensor or were it was placed.
lem,thanks for the fast reply!i see that he used a quick fuel 1050,what hi speed air bleeds were in that carb?i am haveing an issue with tunning on a 1050 and the carb guy put 23 in the hi speed,and 75 low speed,it is an 8082-2,it it runs fat,around 11.5-11.9 afr over 2000 rpm.dan.

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well its all *FINALLY* together! took some fab work to get it all together. Driver side valve cover needed to be notched to fit under the master cyclinder (NON power brakes too). Front engine dress had to be modified slightly (the P51 heads have very shallow holes where the brackets bolt into, which caused some issues for the power steering pump). had to do an entire fuel system, as the old engine had a mechanical pump (and fuel lines too small) used -10 braided line and a mallory fuel log for a full return style system. (man is that mallory pump LOUD!) had to do some mods to the front bench seat to fit the shifter for the reverse pattern manual C6. it still needs some tuning (carb, and shifter)... and need to modify a flat hood, with a 429boss style scoop.

but its officially a runner... and will be out on Woodward tomorrow and sat. definately fun! MUCH faster than my old iron head 466!

Again I want to thank Lem Evans & Jet Boat Bob (BF Evans Ford), Joel & Shawn (Joels on Joy trans shop, Detroit), Lenny (Ultimate Converter Concepts) for all their hard work to make this project come together for me!

yep... it works... had to mark my territory out front of my house... hope my neighbors are impressed too! haha

Shane

· Registered
318 Posts
I like how you mark your territory! You have to get a video up so we can hear that beast running.

BTW, your Mallory fuel log, it looks it has the built in pressure regulator in it, how do you like it and is it pretty easy to setup? I'm really considering one of those and just wondering what you think about it.

Thanks, Dave S.

· Registered
1,720 Posts
Yeah very nice build, you must post video to hear this street torque monster!!!.
Just curious how much did the engine build cost?
What size headers you using?
What converter using behind c6 and what diff ratio you running?
And how much maintanace involved in a build like this and how many miles will you get out of it before a freshen up?

Sorry about all the questions just keen to know, cheers Bob

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.