460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 598 C head combination that i think gets hotter than it should. I usually leave the line at 160 degrees and hit the shut down about 175 but coming back up the return it will go up to near 200. I know i see some guys tow these cars back and forth but i have also seen other guys running mid 8's driving around the pits. It is 14.5 to 1 compression but it seems like it heats awefully fast. The cooling system holds 3 gallons of water with additive but i dont run a restrictor in the intake. timing is a 32degrees...anyyone else have any clue why it heats so quick....more than likely will i be pulling this thing around the track? thanks

· Registered
3,958 Posts
Why don't you do some investigating and see if you don't have some kind of water blockage someplace. Also make sure you have your head gaskets installed correctly and not backwards. The bottom front corner (facing towards the water pump) of your head gasket should be rounded off. If it is a square corner, then you have the gasket on backwards.

Hope this helps,

· Registered
346 Posts
Lem could the arrows be wrong, because I am looking at a set and the square corner would be front if the arrows face front ?? I am curious , because I have a similar problem , I just changed the water pump to the mezier w/ the tank?? hope it works .

· Registered
5,320 Posts
I'd say that's normal for it to warm up some more after the pass. I'd say that what's happening is that the cooling system is picking up a lot of heat that's "soaked" the heads during the run. The engine gains heat during the pass but it takes a little while for that heat to get transfered to the coolant. I'd say that if the cooling system had some blockage the coolant would be boiling in one area and forcing coolant out of the overflow/surging.

· Registered
3,958 Posts
Another possibility is the steam hole alignment. Here's the deal;

1. The A-460 block has the correct steam hole location.

2. The C-460 heads have the correct steam hole location.

3. The current new style Trick Flow heads have the correct steam hole location, (slotted).

4. Lem's proprietary Cometic head gaskets have the correct steam hole location.

5. The Fel-Pro or Fel-Pro made gaskets have the WRONG steam hole location.

6. Any head made,,,by copying off of a Fel-Pro gasket for the deck surface print,,, has the WRONG steam hole location.

7. On Bobby Small's Pro-Filer 205 headed engine, he was overheating due to the alignment of the water holes to the C-460 intake manifold (head/.200" thick spacer/manifold), and we drilled and tapped the back of the heads, made up some AN lines to carry the water to the front and solved the problem.

Hope this helps,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.