460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a customer who's getting diesel fuel in the water on a 6.0 Ford Powerstroke diesel any ideas what causes this problem? How do you test the heads to determine the source of the problem....

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Need to pull the heads off and pressure check them, they crack internally.

You can make a fitting to put air into the front of the head in the fuel rail, with the head upside down on the bench fill the water jackets. if you see bubbles its time for a new casting.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know quite all of the details yet but I do know that they have the heads removed from the engine. Most of the time when they bring heads in for us to check for flatness etc they bring them with no injectors so I should have them put them back in for this test?

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
You'll need injectors, be sure they leave the plug in the fuel galley, then just make a fitting, I think a -4 or -6 an fitting with an oring will fit it if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
256 Posts
cups

check injector cups in the head not the injectors. head can be cracked also. the cups are most common. i see them all the time.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Injector cups were know for leaking and cracking etc on the 7.3, 6.0 is a different animal. The cups are stainless and very robust, every one I ever had on a 6.0 was a cracked head. On the 7.3 the top of the cup were it seals to the head is interesected in the fuel area on the injector orings, 6.0 the top of cup is below the sealing area. Its possible for the lower oring and the cup to fail, but not likely.

You'll need the injectors to seal of the fuel rail in order to test the integrity of the head, they are needed to plug the hole.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts