460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I have read, most of you are already aware of the shortcomings of the 6.0 diesel engine. Well, here's some of the problems my brother's company is currently having with theirs. Apparently the high pressure oil pump that pressurizes the injectors has failed, which may or may not have ruined a few of the injectors. The oil cooler and/or EGR (on a diesel???) cooler has leaked, allowing pressurized oil into the cooling system. It's a mess. It might have head gaskets leaking, although it's never overheated, but it blows coolant out past the reservoir cap. Now here's the kicker, Ford wants 5400.00 big ones to fix this POS and from what I've heard, it's an amazing thing that the turbo still works. Guess frequent oil changes and letting the motor idle down are good for keeping some things in working order. Sorry for the rant guys, but if any of you were thinking of getting a Ford 6.0 diesel, I'd steer clear and wait to see how the 6.4 works out, or just get an older 7.3l. Ok, I feel better now.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
must be an 05?

The stc fitting at the back blows apart, this is a horrible design that will make the truck quit.

The oil cooler ususally restrcits flow to the egr cooler, then the egr cooler fails and you have coolant in the intake.

Out of warranty?

We have had wonderful results from the 6.4.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'04 Excursion. Glad to hear the 6.4 is better so far. Soon as this one is fixed though, we're getting another Dodge 5.9L. Dealers are really trying to get rid of those '06 models.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
I have an 07 6.0 runs great! It has a couple of different parts than the 03-05 though. All I know is the cylinder head bolt pattern is different and it has alittle different turbo.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My brothers 03 f250 with 6.0 Started to give him trouble he went up the chain of command and got a brand new truck.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I think 03 and 04 are the problem years. I had a 04 that left me on the side of the road twice over an faulty EGR valve. Had a 00' that had a cam sensor strand me at work as well.

So far, my 06 is trouble free. I will probably keep it until the new trucks loose the Griswald family vacation front end.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
2112 said:
I think 03 and 04 are the problem years. I had a 04 that left me on the side of the road twice over an faulty EGR valve. Had a 00' that had a cam sensor strand me at work as well.

So far, my 06 is trouble free. I will probably keep it until the new trucks loose the Griswald family vacation front end.
This is true, if you have ever owned a 7.3 you would know to keep a extra CPS in your glove box. Cps and the factory 4r100 where the two most common failers. Besides the Western Diesel Chips that had the window mod!

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
jbozzelle said:
2112 said:
until the new trucks loose the Griswald family vacation front end.

That's it.... I've been staring at those new 08's and couldn't quite put my finger on it.....

It's the Family Truckster all over again!!!!!
Hopefully we don't have to wait the typical 5-7 year turn over before they realize ugly hurts sales.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm a ford deisel tech in oregon those sound like typical 6.0 problems, i miss the 7.3 we had a couple that went over 400k on original engines. I just pulled the cab off a new 08 friday something let loose in cyl 7 and now is lodged in the first turbo, missing and knocking, and makes 30lbs boost free reving in park. Servicing this new truck is a major pain even compared to the 6.0. But it is the first 6.4 i have seen with a problem so i am not condeming them yet, still a very cool truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts