460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, 64 2 door Sedan.
Motor was built 20 years ago. I knew nothing. Right now I'm just trying to get it back on the street, I'll address flaws in parts selection as funds & time present themselves.
PAW 460 long block
Stock crank/rods
Forged 11.6/1 balenced
D2VE heads, port matched intake/exaust, rocker studs, guide plates
Harland Sharp rockers
CompCam's 292 560/560
Fluid damper
March underdrive pullys
Double roller
Weiand Stealth port matched
CSI flex
850 Holley double pumper
MSD pro billet
MSD blaster
MSD 6AL
TCI C6
TCI stall 2500
9" rear, 4.11's Detroit locker 28 spline stock axles
Currently finishing up a Crown Vic swap front end. Will be assembling car with the parts I own. Upgrades threwout drivetrain soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sat the car on the ground this morning before work. I'm seeing "potential" problems. First off I wanted to run 15" steel wheels. After a considerable ammount of grinding on the caliper I have decided I just can't fit the steelies on the front. I tried a 15" stock car wheel to no avail also. Last night I ordered a 15x4 aluminum wheel to try. If it does not fit I will move to a bigger wheel. It is not the diameter that is holding me back, it is the design of the basket, if that makes sense. With my 15's on the car all janky like I think looks to me like the centerline of my front end is too far forward in the car. Gasp! If this is the case, **** me. I'll have to fix it. The way everything is sitting right now the shallow sump for the oil pump wants to sit directly on top of the rack. Not cool. In the pictures the motor is about an inch & 1/2 back from where it needs to be. When a wheel that fits my brakes shows up I can verify front end placement. Then I can figure out what to do about motor placement. I kinda left off at a ****ty spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crown vic front end is coming back out. Going to go to a Mustang2. In the process of selling/buying a house. Moving to a bigger shop! Only forward movement is the addition of a Canton oil pan.

·
Registered
372 Posts
you going with the MII so you can use 15 wheels? Or for better motor placement?
The project looks cool.
Good luck on the house and shop

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would have just rebuilt the stock front suspension. Nothing wrong with the factory front end in those cars. Plenty of room for even 427 SOHC in the engine bay.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting wound back up. Clearing out some other projects. Going to fix my motor soon. Replace D2VE heads with some AFR’s. Replace the Stealth with the AFR single plane. Get rid of the domed TRW’s for some Mahle 28cc dished pistons. Since the heads come with roller springs I guess I’ll switch to a roller cam. Have not decided on a grind. Open to suggestions. The only other thing I’ll change in my motor is the oil pump for a Kasse unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stuffing some 295/50/15’s in the stock wheel wells, sort of. I have to mini tub the outside wheel well & trim the lip.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey Nedceifus we have very similar builds going on. My 64 is getting a 547 with a magnum 6spd, 4 link rear, coilovers all around with tubular front control arms and rack n pinion steering, disc brakes at all 4 corners, ..........

Justin

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Nedceifus we have very similar builds going on. My 64 is getting a 547 with a magnum 6spd, 4 link rear, coilovers all around with tubular front control arms and rack n pinion steering, disc brakes at all 4 corners, ..........
Ha! Sounds like your a little more extreme than me! Sounds like a great car! I’m going to keep my leafs & a stroker is a ways down the road.
Justin
BBF

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Getting there. On my second trip to the local speed shop. Had to get my springs to make sure I did not need to notch the frame for spring clearance before I weld the hats on. I will have to notch for rack clearance. I am going to cut the original stub off of the front & just run a hoop of 1 3/4 round to support the front sheet metal. I’ll be collecting fiberglass parts to put it back together. I need as much weight as possible off the front of this car. I had a member offer me some Edelbrock heads at a reasonable price. That would help my weight situation also.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mustang 2 is in. Still have to burn. When the Crown Vic front was in the car I was not overly concerned about weight. I am now. I’ll replace this front stub with a hoop to support the radiator core. The chunk I cut off this morning was 104lbs. Granted I’ll add some back with the hoop & a glass bumper, but not much.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Burned it in & trimmed 104lbs of weight. I’ll have to add a hoop to support the radiator support but it will be substantially lighter. That & it will get a glass core support, bumper, fenders & hood, no inner fenders.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to drop as much weight as possible, Mustang 2 components are not really built for a car this heavy with a big block. Next up is aluminum heads & unfortunately they will probably be ProComps. This is a temporary motor so I am not going to dump a ton of cash into it. Right now my funds need to go to fiberglass & supporting equipment.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the procraps, they're junk out of the box and by the time you have them built with good parts and machine work they're still no better than a set of worked D3's. You should be able to find a good set of used aluminum heads if you look hard enough, there's always a couple of sets for sale in the big block Facebook groups and you could post an ad on BIG BLOCK FORD'S there's a lot more traffic over there. If you want a list of the Facebook groups shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts