460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A CUSTOM STEEL CANTON OIL PAN THAT WAS MADE FOR A 429 OR 460 BLOCK "WITH A TUBULAR FRONT END AND MOTOR PLATES " I ALSO HAVE PICKUP TUBE AS WELL $ 150 SHIPPED.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Oil Pan

ellisont said:
Are you sure that you have the pickup for the pan?
THIS PAN HAS BEEN SITTING AROUND FOR SOMETIME THIS IS DEFINATELY THE PICKUP FOR THIS PAN IT WAS DESIGNED AS A REAR SUMP PICKUP WITH A TUBULAR CROSSMEMBER WITH A RACK AND PINION WITH MOTORPLATES.

·
Registered
183 Posts
are you sure you really know what that pan fits... by looking at that pan and that REAR sump pick up. looks more like a 79-93 fox mustang pan than a fairlane pan.. since a fairlane pan would be front sump.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
460stang79 said:
are you sure you really know what that pan fits... by looking at that pan and that REAR sump pick up. looks more like a 79-93 fox mustang pan than a fairlane pan.. since a fairlane pan would be front sump.
SORRY, DIDN'T REALIZE ALL OF THE ORIGINAL OLD STUFF WAS FRONT SUMP PICK UP THIS IS FOR A 66-67 FAIRLANE WITH A 385 SERIES ENGINE BUT WAS MADE FOR A REAR SUMP PICK UP. THE CAR HAD A TUBULAR FRONT CROSSMEMBER WITH A RACK IN IT AND MOTOR PLATES.
IF YOU NOTICE THE REAR OF THE PAN IS KICKED IN LIKE AN INCH IN WHICH TYPICALLY THE PAN USUALLY GOES STRAIGHT DOWN IN THE BACK BECAUSE ITS EASIER TO MANUFACTURE , BY BEING KICKED IN YOU HAVE MUCH EASIER ACCESS FITTING TOOLS IN THERE TO GET AT THE FLYWHEEL OR FLEX PLATE BOLTS.

THIS WAS ONE OF THE FIRST SETS OF ALUMINUM TRICK FLOW HEADS EVER MADE FOR A BBF PIC IS FROM 1985 THERE WAS ONLY 5 SETS AVAILABLE AND WE HAD ONE OF THEM THEY WERE PRETTY KILLER TOO EVEN FOR TODAYS STANDARDS.

THIS CAR RAN 8.80s back in 1986 on pure motor was a 498 cui.

·
Registered
58 Posts
They are questioning if the pick-up tube pictured goes with that pan, because that pick-up tube is for a rear sump pan, the oil pump in a 385 series for is at the front of the block, if that tube was for a front sump, it would be very short. It is not short, it is long, indicating it is for a rear sump pan.

Stevo

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
swaybelly321 said:
They are questioning if the pick-up tube pictured goes with that pan, because that pick-up tube is for a rear sump pan, the oil pump in a 385 series for is at the front of the block, if that tube was for a front sump, it would be very short. It is not short, it is long, indicating it is for a rear sump pan.

Stevo
STEVO TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE NO FORD V-8 OIL PUMPS EVER PICKED UP FROM THE FRONT SUMP ! THE MAIN PURPOSE FOR A FRONT SUMP IN A PAN IS JUST TO HAVE CLEARANCE FOR THE OIL PUMP BODY WHICH IS DRIVEN OFF OF THE DISTRIBUTOR BY A SHAFT WHICH IS NOT ONLY COMMON ON 385 SERIES ENGINES BUT IN FACT ALL FORD V-8 ENGINES! THAT IS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO GET ACROSS, OF COURSE THE OIL PUMP IS IN THE FRONT! THEREFORE THE PICKUP WILL PULL OIL FROM THE DEEP PART OF THE REAR SUMP LIKE EVERY OTHER OIL PAN IN EXISTANCE! I MEAN THIS SHOULD BE A NO BRAINER! ITS JUST COMMON SENSE! IF THE PICKUP WAS IN THE FRONT , THE CAR WOULD MOST LIKELY STARVE FOR OIL UNDER ACCELERATION, CAR GOES FORWARD, OIL GOES TO THE REAR OF THE PAN. THUS WHERE THE PICKUP SHOULD BE LOCATED. :?: :idea:

·
Registered
941 Posts
SSO2028 said:
STEVO TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE NO FORD V-8 OIL PUMPS EVER PICKED UP FROM THE FRONT SUMP !
1st, please turn your cap locks off.

2nd. I think you have just shown everyone how much knowledge you really have about Ford engines. EVERY 65-73 Mustang, Fairlane, Maverick, Comet, Falcon, etc, etc. with a V8 from the factory was equipped with a front sump pan with the oil pump picking up with a short pickup from the front sump. Also, all the 385 powered cars from the 70's were like this. Mustang, Torino, LTD, etc.

The 385 factory rear sump pans were for trucks and vans.

It was just a chassis issue with regards to the placement of the crossmember and steering components. Ford could have cared less if the oil ran away from the front pickup on a dragstrip launch. The front sump works fine for a daily driver, which is what Ford was interested in selling by the millions.

David Cole

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
David Cole said:
SSO2028 said:
STEVO TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE NO FORD V-8 OIL PUMPS EVER PICKED UP FROM THE FRONT SUMP !

2nd. I think you have just shown everyone how much knowledge you really have about Ford engines. EVERY 65-73 Mustang, Fairlane, Maverick, Comet, Falcon, etc, etc. with a V8 from the factory was equipped with a front sump pan with the oil pump picking up with a short pickup from the front sump. Also, all the 385 powered cars from the 70's were like this. Mustang, Torino, LTD, etc.

It was just a chassis issue with regards to the placement of the crossmember and steering components. Ford could have cared less if the oil ran away from the front pickup on a dragstrip launch. The front sump works fine for a daily driver, which is what Ford was interested in selling by the millions.

David Cole
OK, THANK YOU FOR EDUCATING ME ON ALL THESE OLD STOCK OIL PANS THATS WHY I SAID "TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE" 66- 67 FAIRLANES ALSO HAD FE ENGINES NOT 385 SERIES MOTORS. I AM ONLY FAMILIAR WITH ALL THE NEWER WINDSOR STYLE ENGINES AND NEWER RACE TYPE MOTORS WHICH ALL HAVE REAR SUMP PICK UPS THAT IS WHY I WAS CONFUSED. LEAVE IT TO FORD TO PUT A FRONT SUMP PICKUP I HAVE PERSONALLY NEVER SEEN ONE. I DID A LITTLE DIGGING ON THIS PAN AND PICKUP AND AT THE TIME WE HAD A TUBULAR FRONT CROSSMEMBER MADE WITH A STEERING RACK AND LIKE I SAID IN THE EARLIER POSTS THE CAR ALWAYS HAD MOTOR PLATES FROM DAY ONE AND THE STRUT TOWERS WERE ALSO NOTCHED TO FIT THE 460 IN THERE LIKE THEY USED TO DO WITH THE OLD THUNDERBOLTS BUT THIS IS DESIGNED FOR A 66-67 FAIRLANE WITH REAR SUMP PICKUP.

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
SSO2028 said:
David Cole said:
SSO2028 said:

David Cole
OK, THANK YOU FOR EDUCATING ME ON ALL THESE OLD STOCK OIL PANS THATS WHY I SAID "TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE" 66- 67 FAIRLANES ALSO HAD FE ENGINES NOT 385 SERIES MOTORS. I AM ONLY FAMILIAR WITH ALL THE NEWER WINDSOR STYLE ENGINES AND NEWER RACE TYPE MOTORS WHICH ALL HAVE REAR SUMP PICK UPS THAT IS WHY I WAS CONFUSED. LEAVE IT TO FORD TO PUT A FRONT SUMP PICKUP I HAVE PERSONALLY NEVER SEEN ONE. I DID A LITTLE DIGGING ON THIS PAN AND PICKUP AND AT THE TIME WE HAD A TUBULAR FRONT CROSSMEMBER MADE WITH A STEERING RACK AND LIKE I SAID IN THE EARLIER POSTS THE CAR ALWAYS HAD MOTOR PLATES FROM DAY ONE AND THE STRUT TOWERS WERE ALSO NOTCHED TO FIT THE 460 IN THERE LIKE THEY USED TO DO WITH THE OLD THUNDERBOLTS BUT THIS IS DESIGNED FOR A 66-67 FAIRLANE WITH REAR SUMP PICKUP.

for what it is worth did you know that typing in all caps is concidered YELLING at us!!! so the question is why are you yelling???? we are not hearing Impaired

Randy

D

·
0 Posts
For what its worth its probably a 4x4 style pan or one someone had built for a specific car like he is suggesting, the fox stuff normaly has a deeper recess in the center.

·
Registered
58 Posts
SSO2028 said:
I MEAN THIS SHOULD BE A NO BRAINER! ITS JUST COMMON SENSE!
Not to be an ***, but not only was I trying to help you by clearing up what was obviously just a simple mistake, I was also interested in the oil pan if it was indeed a rear sump pan as indicated by that extended oil pickup.

I'll purchase one from someone else that has a clue about what they are selling, good luck with your sale. :roll:

Stevo

·
Registered
183 Posts
thats was a very cool car back in the day, i remember seeing that at the motorsport nationals back in like 86 or 87.. i even remember meeting you guys with that car there. as a matter of fact it was me,my friend mark and pete misinsky {aka nitrous pete} and we ran into you guys in the hotel lounge and were talking to you guys for a while that saturday night..and again at the track on sunday.. if i remember right you guys were from conn. i think..

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
swaybelly321 said:
SSO2028 said:
I MEAN THIS SHOULD BE A NO BRAINER! ITS JUST COMMON SENSE!
Not to be an ***, but not only was I trying to help you by clearing up what was obviously just a simple mistake, I was also interested in the oil pan if it was indeed a rear sump pan as indicated by that extended oil pickup.

I'll purchase one from someone else that has a clue about what they are selling, good luck with your sale. :roll:

Stevo
ok sorry everybody unaware of the cap locks "yelling" first i ever heard of that, stevo i feel like the *** because i was unaware that ford had front sump pickups i'm only 35 not 60 this fairilane was my dads car not mine thats why i'm not so up on the old school stuff from the 60's all the new ford engines are rear sump pickups and that is what i'm familiar with. as far as having a clue on what i'm selling the pan is exactly what i stated we had a tubular crossmember made but the car actually still had this pan in it with the stock strut towers altered of course for the 429-460 block and it also still had the stock springs in it but it did have a rack and pinion and motor plates the reason i was a little confused is that after 1 season of racing the car with the stock springs we eventually went to a complete new spindle mount strut front end and still continued using this oil pan so i originally thought it had a stock k frame at one point but it didn't sorry my fault for posting the wrong info i should have done a little more research before my original post, but it is corrected now. i am actually glad this whole topic was brought up because i learned something from it. reason i get a little pissed sometimes is that i get to many squirrels pm'n me trying to beat me down on price or asking totally stupid questions and i thought you were one of them! sorry for the mis understanding it was totally on my part, but anyway the rear sump set up is a much better option than the front sump set up anyday of the week in my book and thats what i have here. also a little hard to recall for me being i was only 15 years old when my dad had this car and it was actually sold 20 years ago almost to the day in 1987. was just doing a little garage cleaning and offing somestuff that was just sitting around. my father doesn't race anymore but i actually still do and currently have one of the fastest mustangs in the world on true 10 inch tires charlie evans actually just did a killer job on my new profiler bbf heads that i will be doing an engine build up on this forum shortly its an all aluminum 518 inch 9500rpm engine and i can assure you it will have a rear sump pickup, LOL!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dfree383 said:
For what its worth its probably a 4x4 style pan or one someone had built for a specific car like he is suggesting, the fox stuff normaly has a deeper recess in the center.
actually the fox stuff has a very narrow mid section compared to this pan. this pan actually fit in my 88 fox body i used it as a mock up pan and it actually fit perfect with the skinny kid front and mid plate kit and i could have used it and not changed a thing but i also have an 1&1/2 inch lowered rack section on my k frame and i also have motor plates. only reason i didn't use it is because i lowered the motor even more and i was having a custom aluminum pan made for my new motor with large kick out sections. i also had a 600 inch kasse motor in a 89 fox and the motors usually sit pretty high if your using the stock k-frame and rack location thats why they have a very narrow mid section theres no room. but like you said this pan was made for a specific application but it will also work a in a fox body to my surprise and its actually a very nice fit if you have the lowered k-frame rack section .

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
460stang79 said:
thats was a very cool car back in the day, i remember seeing that at the motorsport nationals back in like 86 or 87.. i even remember meeting you guys with that car there. as a matter of fact it was me,my friend mark and pete misinsky {aka nitrous pete} and we ran into you guys in the hotel lounge and were talking to you guys for a while that saturday night..and again at the track on sunday.. if i remember right you guys were from conn. i think..
you got it, to bad the motorsport nats aren't like that anymore that was the best all ford event period! i am still actively racing in the nmra circut in super street outlaw, got my 88 vert running 7.70's on 28x10.5's that was with my small block nos combo we are currently building a bada$$ 518 inch combo hopefully looking to steamroll the class with it but easier said than done can only hope for the best.

we won best appearing car in 1987 at that event i'm the youngster in the pic was 15 at the time.

pics of my current ride

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jc10000rpm said:
i have a 66 galaxie, what all might you have that would work with my car ??
not too much just doing some house cleaning i had a few odds and ends laying around the oil pan being one of them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts