460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 Ford for 60 out of an F350 With only 47,000 miles on it and I want to rebuild it to stock what rebuild kits would y’all recommend?I’m probably going to line hone the cylinders For the new piston rings stock piston rings and rods look really good I’m just gonna clean them up thanks for your help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honestly, I would not disassemble an engine with low mileage. I would look at the cylinders for scuffing or rust through the plug holes. Depending on what cylinder heads are on there now I would not pull them unless you intend to replace them. Replace all the gaskets and seals you can get to and install a cloys straight up timing set. Once you have sorted out the transmission (C6 ?), exhaust system, fan and radiator and engine mounts (all Ford) and re-balanced your check book you can decide if you want or need to go into the engine. I have two 66 F100's with 460 and C6, 100% all Ford parts used during the installation. There is good info on desmogging a 460 on this site. Scotty can help with heads later. So, don't screw with a good running engine, get it installed and running in your truck, then if you really must, dig into the engine. My opinion for what it's worth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input I am just going to clean it and reseal it. Trans is a zf5. I am putting a carburetor on it. The efi had to many problems I just really like carburetors on a Budget just trying to build a nice cruiser

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would do more research concerning replacing your EFI system with a carburetor. I use carburetors but only because I am baffled when it comes to EFI systems. It seems your engine has EFI? Converting that to a carburetor may not be economically advantageous ? More research is needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done plenty of research converting it to a standalone system is going to cost way too much money carburetor is way more economically friendly for me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts