460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first build from the ground up. My 1966 galaxie was an absolute roller when I bought it, no interior, no engine, but no rust! It's time to choose a proper engine for this full size vehicle! Since my 1962 Falcon I kept 100% original, and was given a blank canvas for this 66 galaxie I am going to resto-mod under the hood. Any suggestions? I am working with a somewhat limited budget and just to be clear I have no interest in excessive horsepower, only what is necessary to pull such a large heavy vehicle with hopefully not too much invested in fabricating motor mounts. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Budget build means different things to different people. If it was mine I would put a mildly buildt 390 in it.
You can find them in salvage yard's fairly cheap and there are a lot of upgrades for them.
You don't have to cut and weld as the 66 wes made for the 390 type engine.
Another option would to buy a totaled Mustang Gt with 5.0 and 6r80.
You would get over 400 HP and if you buy a totaled car you get all the wireing and other part's you need.
They go for around 5000 to12,000 around here at Co Part's auctions depending on the mileage at the time of the wreck.
Greg

·
Registered
829 Posts
Personally the only thing I don’t like about FE’s is the fact that there’s no easy/inexpensive OD trans options. Cheapest would probably be a 351 and an AOD/T5 but not very exciting. You could go with an LS but then you’d have to tell you’re parents that you’re gay!😂 A 4 valve 4.6 could be cool but they don’t make a lot of torque which would be helpful. I like the Coyote idea if you can find a wrecked car like Greg was talking about.

·
Registered
156 Posts
On my 63 Galaxie I am building right now with a 428 and 6R80 trans.
You are right that the trans install isn't inexpensive at-
Trans adaptor kit -$950
Trans controller-$1275
Trans mount-$75
Additional expense will building the crossmember which I will do in my shop and building a driveshaft.
I am going to use my factory consule and shifter so I had to buy a cable from a 2012 F-150 for
$49.
The engine puts out 571 Hp at 6500 with 523 ft lb's torque at 5000.
I thought about a coyote and 6R80 for the Galaxie but wanted to go old school using the D cam Ford used in their Thunder Bolts.
Greg

·
Registered
157 Posts
FE's are great if you have or can find parts reasonably priced. I had a dual quad intake hanging on the wall for a few years... very nice. A current Edelbrock RPM intake for the FE was bringing close to $500 last I saw one.

For a cruiser on a budget, it'd be hard to beat a SBF... 289, 302 / 5.0L, or the 351W... efi and od trans are readily available.

If you like to irk traditionalists, a 5.3L LS is cheap, efficient (efi and od trans) with lots of upgrade potential down the road if desired.

If you bump up the torque, you'll need to be mindful of the rest of the drivetrain... 9" open diff and leaf springs may need an upgrade.

Good luck and post picts of the build.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Personally the only thing I don’t like about FE’s is the fact that there’s no easy/inexpensive OD trans options. Cheapest would probably be a 351 and an AOD/T5 but not very exciting. You could go with an LS but then you’d have to tell you’re parents that you’re gay!😂 A 4 valve 4.6 could be cool but they don’t make a lot of torque which would be helpful. I like the Coyote idea if you can find a wrecked car like Greg was talking about.
funny you should mention that.mr chevrolet was a so so french race car driver.serious power drinker,known to be swishy,and accused of molesting a few times.Th bow tie boys/girls/dont know, should be real proud.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Get the GODZILLA 7.3 crate engine!!

Cheers, Bob
That was the original plan I had for my 65, but Indypower wanted $10k for their front sump oil pan kit.
I decided to go with a blown 572, but parts are non-existent so now I’m reconsidering a Coyote or a Godzilla.

To the OP, find a wrecked Coyote mustang and swap everything over.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
That was the original plan I had for my 65, but Indypower wanted $10k for their front sump oil pan kit.
I decided to go with a blown 572, but parts are non-existent so now I’m reconsidering a Coyote or a Godzilla.

To the OP, find a wrecked Coyote mustang and swap everything over.
Here is a 1300hp GODZILLA 7.3 supercharger......Here in Australia most cars need to be front sump, and the only way i've seen it done was with an external peterson R4 single stage oil pump....Hope this helps.

This combo has ran low 8's in a 4000+lb car.

Cheers, Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts