460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I hope you guys can help.
I have a 460 bbf in my 67 mustang and I am unsure who makes the headers, they have 2" primaries and 3 1/2 collectors. One primary from opposites sides cross under the motor and end in the other collector.
Now my problem.
I installed a magnaflow X-pipe system with tail pipes so I can take the car on the street. Once the full exhaust was put in the car runs terrible and smokes and smells of fuel bad.
Magnflow said I am double scavenging and I can't run an exhaust with these headers???
The car runs 10.80's consistent open pipe.
I checked the power valve dropped two jet sizes for primary and secondaries.
Still smokes and runs terrible.

Magnaflow said I can only run open??? or change my headers?
This doesn't sound right, Please help!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the x-pipe through tail pipes are 3" magnaflow part#15819
I appreciate any direction.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It is best to use an X pipe the same diameter as the collectors (in your case 3.5"). You can neck down after the X pipe. I run a 3.5" system with and X pipe all the way back. Try running it just with the X pipe and see if it still runs badly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am willing to try anything.

Just wondering if you use the same style header I do? Where a primary from opposite bank crosses under the motor and ends in the other collector?

Thank you

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure who makes the headers but it is an older build. One primary does cross under the motor from each side ending in different collectors. Could exhaust gas velocity be the problem? I really don't know who makes the headers but i would say you guys are correct.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I run the early Crites headers and they don't cross over. I'm pretty sure those are Tubular Automotive headers. I've never heard of anyone having a problem like that with them, but you may want to give them a call.

Rob

·
Registered
302 Posts
"THEY" say that an X-Pipe increases low and mid range torque.Do you think you really need one? I run 3.5in back to a super lite weight single chamber Flowmasters turned out in front of the rear wheels. A"little"loud.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really wanted to quite the car down so not to get pulled over for noise, and to also race on muffler nights at track.
This exhaust really has the car poorly. I can't help but think the headers have something to do with it and the smoke condition. I stepped down the jets and power valve is fine, dist. locked out at 34*.:confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New wires really made the difference ! super conductor MSD - removed the motorsport and had a burnt boot. thanks for all the help guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts