460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 69 Mach I with Total Control upper control arms and stock lower control arms. My problem is that after about 4 passes the front end is out of adjustment. I have cables tied from the top of the shock towers to the upper control arms to limit the amount of rise I get in the front end. After pulling the wheels about 3-4 times on launch the lower control arms starts to move out. The eccentric washer is turning allowing the lower control arm to move out. I have tighten it to the point that the lower control arm was binding some and it still is moving out. I noticed on Total Controls website they have an adjustment replacement kit but they cost $50.00 per side. I was hoping someone on this site had fixed this problem an easier and cheaper way than buying these square washers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tach Welding

Yes that was one option I was thinking of also. Have you ever seen or heard of anyone drilling a hole and using another washer and bolt to hold the eccentric washer in place. Kind of like the distributor hold down. I don't know if it will apply enough force. Tach welding is great until you need to break it lose. As of now, tach welding is what I'm leaning toward due to ease of operation.

·
Registered
792 Posts
A little O/T
How does that limiter cable deal work out for you? Is it solid, or does it have bumpers or springs to soften the top out hit???

My Torino launches slow but consistant (1.49-1.51 60s on M/T ET Streets)
But the nose is still way, way high all the way down track. I know it's slowing the car down - - and it looks stupid to boot....

Shocks don't seem to change that downtrack stance much and I know its as aerodynamically FUBAR as you can get!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Travel limiters

My cables are a solid hit. Once the front end raises enough the cables and chains (combination) reach there limit and stop the top A-arm (tubular a-arms) from going down any further.

My car 60' is low 1.3's. Most of the time it's tripping the timers with the back tires. And yes my car runs down the track as high as you will let it. I have Moroso Drag racing springs and adjustable shocks on the front. No matter where you put the shocks, the car is still up against the travel limiters all the way down the track. I'm going to install a front spoiler in an attempt to get some down force on the front end to help hold it down. The tighter I run the travel limiters the better the car handles down track. The more horsepower I spray out of the hole the more I have to tie the front end down. So I guess its going to work out OK. A stiffer front spring would help hold the front end down also but that's more money, more tuning (trial and error) and more work.

·
Registered
792 Posts
OK - sounds like you're a little further down the same path I'm traveling. As far as the adjusters - could you just drill a small hole through the adjuster eccentric and the frame and bolt through it? Or do what you originally suggested and use a star washer to get a bit of "bite" on that eccentric...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered one

Thanks for the input, I just ordered the part from Total Control. $ 50.00 to fix both sides is not too bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts