460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up a 92 F350 with a blown head gasket. That’s what I was told. I was hoping it was the oil cooler. So I drained the oil with about 2 gallons of coolant in it and there’s oil in the radiator. I refilled the oil but I did not add any coolant. Truck only starts with gas and runs very rough. After running for a few seconds ( no coolant) I was looking around and found water coming out between the exhaust manifold and head. Does that sound like a gasket or cracked head? I’ve read many posts about one or the other but not both and no mention of water around the exhaust port.

·
Registered
405 Posts
HI, The only way oil and water can mix it throu a bad head gasket or intake gasket or a cracked head or block.. The oil cooler ONLY contains oil and no connection to the coolant it just runs the oil thru the little radiator to cool it.
good luck
tim

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quick search showed 7.5l's had coolant oil filter (sandwich) coolers starting in 1992 and failures are common. Fix appears to be going to the pre '92 non-coolant type.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If it was the oil cooler leaking the water would be mixing in the oil and not coming out an exhaust port. Water in the cylinder is either a gasket issue or a crack.
So when the engine's off and there's no oil pressure but the cooling system is still pressurized, it can't mix with oil?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
When water is coming out the exhaust it almost always means a bad head gasket or crack in your cylinder head.
Some residual oil from the engine can get pressurized into the antifreeze from combustion pressure via the bad head gasket and end up in your radiator and if the crack or gasket failure is significant and you have just been topping antifreeze off to get you from point a to point b you would likely end up with significant volumes in you oil pan leaking past the rings into the pan when parked not running.
When head gasket / cracked heads are really bad its not unusual for the motor to lock up or labor when trying to crank it over with water getting in the cylinders.
It's referred to as hydraulicing or hydro lock to some.

If your oil cooler in fact is a wet type with antifreeze cooling the oil not air cooling you typically would get oil pumping into your cooling system since the oil pressure typically operates at a much higher pressure when running than your cooling system. When the motor is off you could also get some antifreeze leaking into oil once engine off but in either case there isn't a direct pathway into the cylinder for the anti freeze to come out the exhaust port like you are describing.

That being said it is a likely bet you have a head gasket issue or a crack or both.

Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts