460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody help me out looking for the biggest rim and tire that will fit 70 mustang fast back with out to much mods. Any pictures would be great or web sites with pictures. Also should I stick with 15 inch rims I like the bigger sizes but want to hook up at the strip and don't want extra rims sitting around THANKS BING

·
Registered
107 Posts
Don't know if this helps you much, but, here is what I did on my car.

I used a '72 rear end housing and axles. It is 2" wider than the '70 housing. Then, I use an 8" wheel with 5.5" backspace..The car looks like it is tubbed, but, still uncut.
I use a 295-60-15 tire and it doesn't hang out the fenderwell...I can send you some pics, but, I ain't smart enough to post them here....

Steve

·
Registered
429 Posts
Friends car

My friends car had a 18 x 9.5 with a 315 35 18 on it. He rolled the lip and that was it. The car was lowered as well. Just get the backspace exact and that is the key. The car I am speaking of is the one in the Air Ride Technology ads that you see in the mags. The silver Mach 1. We built the car and they bought it from him then installed their stuff.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I run 15*8 magnums's on my 70 CJ car. I have 275/60-15 BFG's for tires. At the track I run 15*10" Weld Draglights with a 28*9 M/T slick. I think the backspace on the rear was 4.5"

·
Registered
59 Posts
15x9 with 5.5 backspacing. L60-15 M/T tires. I have a set of Hoosier 28x10-15 slicks on another pair of the same wheels which are just about the same size as the M/T tires. A 15x10 wheel whith 6 inch backspacing would work well too. I would have got that size but they don't make a Draglite in that size.

·
Registered
545 Posts
We run a set of 15 x 8 x 4.5 BS Weld Draglights with M/T 28-10.5 x 15 drag tires. Zero clearance problems, probably have another inch to the springs with these. I'll see if I can find a pic of the car not moving :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts