460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve got a 71 460 out of a Lincoln Continental in my 65 Ford pick up, I keep burning through alternators could somebody tell me the proper alternator and wiring schematic, has voltage charger so it’s externally regulated right? If I remember correctly when I first got it there was only the positive wire connected and the other 3 weren’t connected.... can I just do one wire positive to the alternator and leave the other three off?...

·
Registered
583 Posts
It depends.Maybe the PO converted it over to a G3 alt at one time.If so the only wires used would be a heavy positive to the battery and 1 switched positive.Voltage reg not used.G3 internally regulated. If not,you have to use all of them. That said,I would go with a G3 setup.Much simpler,direct fit,higher amperage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It depends.Maybe the PO converted it over to a G3 alt at one time.If so the only wires used would be a heavy positive to the battery and 1 switched positive.Voltage reg not used.G3 internally regulated. If not,you have to use all of them. That said,I would go with a G3 setup.Much simpler,direct fit,higher amperage.
Thank you sir! I’m not sure what you mean by 1 switched positive though, could you please explain

1 - 4 of 4 Posts