460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So she was running fantastic and I thought I heard too much chatter in the valves and tried to readjust valves and I’m having the worst trying to get her running right again, as of now she cranks right up and sounds good, but white smokes out of passenger side bank, does good on initial acceleration and then with more gas given she shudders hard and more white smoke

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
pic of valve train

what heads? rockers? etc

·
Registered
405 Posts
HI, Heavy White smoke out a tail pipe is a strong indication of a blown head gasket..
good luck
tim

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
HI, Heavy White smoke out a tail pipe is a strong indication of a blown head gasket..
good luck
tim
Agreed.

I've also seen a few times where a bad modulator valve can cause a white leaning to light blue smoke show.

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
just a thought

Just curious if you may have been playing with distributor at same time you heard what you thought was a valve train noise.
If timing was way out the rattle could have been detonation.
It does sound like a head gasket is one of the most common issues for white smoke and I have had a bunch of modulator smoke shows as well .
I did have a friend of mine attempt to set his own timing when we were kids and hurt his motor after hearing multiple death rattles (Detonation) out of his top end before he called me for help.
He ended up hurting a piston by continually running it way out of time trying to figure it out. He was too embarrassed to call in the beginning and didn't realize what the noise was. Detonation can be very destructive.

Any other specifics on what you might have been working on before this occurred or how you may have been driving would give us a little more to work with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts