460 Ford Forum banner

361 - 380 of 417 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
Now the fun part....Measure, guess, measure, guess, and repeat as needed. This stuff will drive you nuts trying to figure out how to fit the tires you want. So I ordered a cheap wheel in 15x10 5.5 backspace to test. Have a 29x11 Hoosier Quick Time Pro on the way to mount and see if it fits....lol. Only way to do it is to put it on and see what it looks like.....

·
Registered
893 Posts
Looking good! I know it isn't apples to apples, but I've got 18x10s with 5.5 BS on mine. As you can see, you've got plenty of room on the inside, but its going to be tight on the outside. You might have to roll your inner fender. My tires are 27" in diameter (275/40R18), with little to no sidewall bulge obviously, and they're super, super tight on the inner fender. If a guy can get another 1/4-1/2" on the positive, they'll fit no problem. I'm thinking we can get 11" or 12" wide wheels with the room our cars have to the inside, with custom backspacing. But, like you said, you'll just have to check. When I've got some more $ saved up, I'm going to try to go with some 18x12s.

Lucas

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #363 (Edited)
18x12's will go on there, the outer edge is going to come out quite a bit. I've pondered it as well, just don't know how it would work or look. My issue is going to be at forward, inner part of the wheel tub...clearance wise. Not sure how close my measurements will come out and not sure how it will look there or at the outer section. The outer area is rolled already and i'll just have to get this tire mounted up and see what I got....D

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Now the fun part....Measure, guess, measure, guess, and repeat as needed. This stuff will drive you nuts trying to figure out how to fit the tires you want. So I ordered a cheap wheel in 15x10 5.5 backspace to test. Have a 29x11 Hoosier Quick Time Pro on the way to mount and see if it fits....lol. Only way to do it is to put it on and see what it looks like.....
Damn that is the expensive way to do it but I did the same thing. I ended up selling the stuff that didn't fit on RacingJunk.com and got good prices for everything because it was all still new. Just used for mock up only.

Keep going. You are making good progress. And keep us posted please! I enjoy following this thread.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Don't do all that, I made a wheel tire checker out of a long flat ruler, some wire...

Figure about how big I wanted to go, make the checker to those dimensions, wheel/BS - tread width, radius, and height, and tested it, adjusted a bit and then bought the wheels and tires, all good.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
Cooked for the high school choir kids on Saturday.....so today I'm doing this for the house. A good time to celebrate the tire fitting.....6 hours into the cook on the smoker....

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Right on brother! One step closer......

Lucas
Damn jelouse....I had to mini tub mine an relocate the springs 3 inches to get the 29X11.5s under mine! Looking good boss! What kind of wheels are those?

Look like welds. Great wheels, but I ditched mine, PITA getting lug nuts started on em. My rears I had long studs, not a big deal, but the fronts were murder with those short studs.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
You are correct about the wheels....it was a cheap way to order one and check fitment. The wheels I want are expensive so not sure what route I will go....for now....D

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
Got this crap out of the way to address some issues...Lead seams bubbling up and I broke the SOB pulling the trim off. That made me grumpy.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yeah, that sucks....but, I'll give you the silver lining story: I was re-doing a 64 Chevy pickup back about 15 years ago. I had a new windshield for it, and I had it stored in my garage waiting to put in, which was about 8 months away, if I was lucky. I walked around that thing and protected it like it was made of gold. Long story short, it got broken after about 4 months of it being a pain in my a$$ to move around and taking up space that I could've otherwise used for other stuff. So, unless you've got plenty of space to just store something fragile like that, it's not that big of a loss. New ones are like $150 (not cheap or free, but not bad), and the pain that storing that thing will be for the next year or whatever your goal is won't be worth having to walk around it. Just trying to make you feel better my friend.... :)

Lucas

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
PITA, I was lucky, I got mine out ok, and like mentioned, stored it for 6 yrs...but I sandwiched mine in cardboard and found the rafters/trusses of my garage made perfect storage space for such bulking and unwieldy things like glass, drive shafts, etc..

When it came time to put it back in, and put the molding on...it was worth every bit of the 180 bucks the guy charged me...one of the very few things I paid someone else to do..discretion being the better part of valor.

Sorry dude, but look at the bright side, now you can just call Auto Glass, or Glassmasters, whatever you have in your woods to come pop in a nice new glass, AND put all the trim in.

I needed some new molding pins, the glass companies wont install or touch your stuff unless your buying the glass.

361 - 380 of 417 Posts