460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a chance to by a set of 73' PI Manifolds. Has anyone dealt with 73's as I only see info on 72's. Casting Number is D30E. Are they the same as the
D20E's? If it helps they do look the same, but I am afraid as thats getting very close to the dreaded smog years.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Tiger. I just never hear about the later (73-74) PI Engines and their parts. Everyone seems to be focused more on the DOVE and D2OE Engines. Not that that is a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Thank you Tiger. I just never hear about the later (73-74) PI Engines and their parts. Everyone seems to be focused more on the DOVE and D2OE Engines. Not that that is a bad thing.
No one talks much about them because they are pretty much the same as any other 460 from that year.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the information. I had a book that talked about 73-74 PI Engines like they were the same a the 72's (only in 460 CID). I guess thats what I get for believing everthing I read. How do you guys get around all the misinformation thats floating around and still come out on top? That has been the most fustrating thing about hot rodding for me. I try to do the research only to find out that my research was wrong, usually after an expensive purchase I cant get my money back on. Tiger did you say your for sale manifolds were blasted and ready to go?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
"How do you guys get around all the misinformation thats floating around and still come out on top?"
Well, it helps if you were there when these cars were new or at least when they were in the junkyards. I bought a lot of stuff from yards and guys with stuff left over from racing/pulling/mudding.
It goes kinda like this. '70 police cars still had the old 428 FEs. '71s had basically, a 429CJ. '72 started out with D20E 429s, then some D20E 460s. '73-'74 had regular D3VE 460s with different cam/manifolds. I have had at least 1 of each of these engines in the past. Sometimes bought for parts or for resale.

I am correcting myself here. Looks like there were some '73-'74s with the D2OE heads. Just not always.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you Fordman59. I appreciate that rundown as I had been confused for a spell. I wish I could have been involved in this before all these things disappeared from the junk yard. My junk man laughs at me and says "good luck" when I tell him I'm looking for PI parts. I guess I will be doomed to a life of paying out the nose for these things on E-Bay or somewhere. Do you think the PI Manifolds are a good "Bang for the buck"?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Tiger did you say your for sale manifolds were blasted and ready to go?
The manifolds in the above picture that I posted for you were ran for about 20 passes on a 250' mud track. They are my brothers manifolds and he has got rid of his mud truck and has started a fox body mustang build, so he does not need them anymore. As you can see in the pictures these manifolds are in great shape and have not had any cracks in them. They sealed fine on the heads, we had no leaks with them. They are ready to bolt on. They are not blasted, but they are in great shape.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
"How do you guys get around all the misinformation thats floating around and still come out on top?"
Well, it helps if you were there when these cars were new or at least when they were in the junkyards. I bought a lot of stuff from yards and guys with stuff left over from racing/pulling/mudding.
It goes kinda like this. '70 police cars still had the old 428 FEs. '71s had basically, a 429CJ. '72 started out with D20E 429s, then some D20E 460s. '73-'74 had regular D3VE 460s with different cam/manifolds. I have had at least 1 of each of these engines in the past. Sometimes bought for parts or for resale.
The '74 Mercury Interceptor my Grandma owned had an Interceptor 460 that had D2OE-AB heads on it. It could light the right rear tire pretty good... don't ask how I knew.

Bret

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The '74 Mercury Interceptor my Grandma owned had an Interceptor 460 that had D2OE-AB heads on it. It could light the right rear tire pretty good... don't ask how I knew.

Bret
Thanks for that info Bret. I am suspecting that not all but some had the heads. I just haven't seen any later years other than one '73 with D2OEs from Indiana. It could be a location thing.
I hear ya on lighting up the right rear! When I first got my license, my mom's car was a '70 LTD w/429. It was the one wheel burnout king. No one could lay down a longer black mark on the pavement! She just couldn't understand why she needed one tire so often!

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
My Grandparents had a '58 Ranch Wagon with a PI 352" motor........I aint coppin' to the fact that I know it would lite 'em up either.......;)
Rob

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You fellas are the best. Thank you for the good info and cool burn out stories we all know and love!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts