460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd update you guy's on my progress. A special thanks to Don Davis & Crew (Nick & Joel) at Ugly Fox Racing for their knowledge and expertise. I've thrown in a hand but these guy's did all the difficult work on the engine compartment. The roll bar work was done by Suburban Industries (Tonawanda, NY). Still need a oil pan for the engine as well as a few other misc. parts. Will have more pics soon.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fox update

Thanks guy's. I'm trying to keep the weight to a minimum but I added some very necessary strength to the front end. My chassis guy said the front end was twisting with the little 460 and it wouldn't be long before I did some permanent damage. Now in addition to the bars in the front, all seams have been welded and the holes filled. This should make it a bunch stronger and far less noisy when I'm driving 70 miles to the track.
Also I'm switching from iron to aluminum heads, so I'm not to worried about the additional weight. Hopefully the 533/Glide (and plate nitrous system) will put her in the low nines high eights. Thanks again!!!

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Great job on the Mustang. Looks nice!

Ford sure did poke alot of holes in my TC's engine compartment in 1987.

S

·
0 Posts
If anyone wants to weld the holes.. do them from the outside.. It's easier to grind off..

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Primer

Got her in primer!!! Now I just have to save another couple of grand to finish the project. What else is new.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
front of car

is there a reason y u dont have coil overs on the front . also i dont know what k member but if u you need to lose more wieght they have light wieght front ends

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: front of car

faststang902000 said:
is there a reason y u dont have coil overs on the front . also i dont know what k member but if u you need to lose more wieght they have light wieght front ends
The main reason for not going to coil over is front end strength. When you go to a coil over suspension all the weight of the car is on the strut towers. Mustangs (especially older ones) are terribly weak in this area and tend to flex quite a bit. You can get away with this on a race car but it's probably not the best choice for a street car like mine. The K-member is an older unit and I've been thinking about putting a newer unit in place. This would accomplish a couple of things, it would save weight but I could also lower my steering rack for more hood clearance. Lastly, I still have a long list of parts to buy and money is a little tight right now. Who knows, maybe I'll win the lottery. Thanks to all for the compliments!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Re: Fox update

jims91notch said:
Thanks guy's. I'm trying to keep the weight to a minimum but I added some very necessary strength to the front end. My chassis guy said the front end was twisting with the little 460 and it wouldn't be long before I did some permanent damage. Now in addition to the bars in the front, all seams have been welded and the holes filled. This should make it a bunch stronger and far less noisy when I'm driving 70 miles to the track.
Also I'm switching from iron to aluminum heads, so I'm not to worried about the additional weight. Hopefully the 533/Glide (and plate nitrous system) will put her in the low nines high eights. Thanks again!!!
i hear ya on the flexin...i had a 79 fairmont with a worked 351 windsor,small slicks and a 4 speed...about a month later i junked it because it snapped the top of the a piller and the doors wouldnt shut

1 - 16 of 16 Posts