460 Ford Forum banner

8-71 or 12-71 blower

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  taylorteamracing 
#1 ·
I am putting together a 69F100 full chassis toy. I am building a 545 stroker with a stock block that has 4dolt main caps. It has JE forged pistons and Scat forged H beam rods and crank, topped off with Kasse SR71 heads. It will be Mostly for the track with the occasional trip to the store.

I am going to put a roots blower on it with carbs on e85. I spoke to Don Hampton this morning and he recommended his competition 8-71 blower. He doesn’t do 10-71s so the next bigger one is the 12-71 blower.

I am concerned that the 8-71 isn’t big enough. I am shooting for 1000 to 1200 hp, which is pushing it on the stock block. In the future I will purchase an aftermarket block and would like to be able too use the same blower.

Wanted to get your thoughts on which one to purchase. I am leaning towards the 12-71. I welcome your opinions.

Thanks

#2 ·
well let me tell you,, I am running a top shelf 545 aluminum head fitech fuel injected beast with one on dons blowers, as a matter of fact the very one you are talking about and my set up is pushing right at around 1000 hp the trans is fully built 4k stall and to drive it normally down the road is no problem ,except,,,,, lol when you give it fuel your tires will go up in smoke and that has caused me to start back halfling the car for 31x16.5 tires and a better rear axle set up I am going to keep the ratio at 4:56 ,, keep in mind you can do ALLOT with the pulleys and his blower WILL take it I ran mine at 12 percent over that put me at 17:1 yes it was fun but I had to go to 9 percent under drive about 12.1 and my tires still go up in smoke remember the 545 is a torque monster I will also tell you finding a distributor to fit under the front will be a challenge you half to use a small cap point style.. mine is just unbelievably fast and a truck load of torque , that being said I have it in a 3500 pound car and you are going to put this in a truck with no weight on the rear lol defiantly a decent axle and definitely half to be tubbed and caged but it would be a kool ride good luck with that monster you wont be disappointed I think the 12/71 would be to much unless you were going to do a pro mod bracket car door slammer or something I would go with the 8/71

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.