460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
DIrect swap yes.. Im sure someone makes a mini spool for a 7.5... Why I would have no idea..

·
Registered
95 Posts
As was said yes it is a direct swap as long as the 8.8 comes from a Fox body (Tbird, Cougar, Mustang, Fairmont, Towncar, etc, etc.) Why would anyone want a mini-spool in a 7.5? A stock SVO will spit one of those out. If it was me and you just needed one until you could get the 8.8 installed, I'd Lincoln lock it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So any of those cars (t-bird, couger, fairmont, towncar) with a V8 will have the 8.8? Do they usually have posi? or just the mustangs have posi ? I have a used set of 3.27 gears so i don't care what ratio I get. Do all the different ratio's go onto the same posi carrier? Or is there different carriers for different ranges of gears?
Brian

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
From personal experience I can tell you that, at least Thunderbird axles are NOT the same. The T-birds are wider, with longer axle shafts. BTDT.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Tbird housing is the same, just the axles are longer. All the 8.8 R&P use the same carrier. I'd go for one out of a 87-88 Turbocoupe. They come with 3.55 w/ a stick and 3.73 w/ an auto, all had TracLoks, and all had disk brakes. You won't be able to use the quad shocks unless you relocate the bracket on the axle (what I did) or relocate the mounting bracket on the car (what my uncle did.) However, w/ good aftermarket control arms, you don't really need the quad shocks. If memory serves, they're only about 1"-1.5" wider from flange to flange than the Mustang. You'll also need an adjustable proportioning valve, but the install is really straight forward.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not all the V-8 fox bodies had an 8.8.The most common one is V-8 Mustangs from 86 and up but I have heard that some of the V-8 T-birds/Cougars had them but I think they are fairly rare as all the V-8 T-birds I have seen have had a 7.5..I have also seen them in some of the Lincoln Mark VII's with the 302 HO motor.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I forgot about the Mark VIIs. If memory serves, only the LSC got the 302 HO and the 8.8. However, they were all 5 lug rear disc (a la SVO.) You'd have to convert the front over as well. If he found a LSC in a salvage yard that still had everything, it would be a very straightforward swap...spindles, rotors, calipers on the front, complete rear in the back. And you are correct, the Mustang got the 8.8 in 86.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Since you are in Saskatchewan, keep an eye on the total loss vehicles at SGI.I picked up an 88 Turbo Coupe last summer for $400 from them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts