460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a "dual sump" pan, i think. i dont know pans.
its just a small drop up front and not real deep in back. think its an 89 f350 pan.
from measurements it looks to fit and clear the sway bar in mustang.
does some oil stay in the front drop? it looks about one inch lower than the center hump. the back is not as deep as the stock front sump pan. best i can do,!!
do i need just a rear pickup tube?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The truck pans are very similar to, if not the same as the Ford Racing 460 swap pan. Some oil will stay in that front sump but it's not enough to worry about. Yes you need a rear sump pickup tube.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The front sump is because of the oil pump hanging down. It usually has a drain plug just for that area because it will keep oil otherwise. There are better rear sump pans out there. But you need to match up the oilpump with a rear pick up tube. Most 429/460 oilpumps face down at about a 45 deg angle. Melling makes some, (truck types) that have the pick up tube mounting facing directly back. This minimizes the amount the sump hangs down in the front. Will the swaybar clear? Yes unless you make a really deep front sump. I did on my 82 Zephyr that I out a 460 in and I used a 1" spacer to move the bar down for clearance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dont have stock pan off. im trying to plan/buy ahead so hopefully
i can have the stuff to make the swap when i do.
ill get a pix of double pan soon.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Jegs has a kit, #520-6224K, headers, pan, pump, pickup , mounts, etc. Save some time there. I'd also get a tubar cross member and A-arms to make the front end lighter and the engie easier to get at. Also an Alum rad with electric fan.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
ok,thanks. so i may not be able to use my stock pump with ? pickup tube?
You will need an M84DHV pump, 1 main stud,and a rear sump pickup tube

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
front sway bar will need to be removed,wont need it if you drag racing. and we have left them off all the cars, street or drag

·
Registered
612 Posts

Same pan as the 4X4 truck which will clear the rack.I don't think the high volume pump will clear the pan because of extra length.Been a while so not absolutely sure on that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This kit comes with all that. Stud for pickup tube, M84D pump and pick up. Gaskets, headers, pan, (which you can modify). Personally for someone just wanting to make the swap. My choice. But I would deepen the pan and modify the pickup tube to go with it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Dual sump pans require two pickups otherwise what’s the point of the second sump? you’ll just get oil built up there and sludge will form. factory dual sump pan should have two drain plugs doesn’t mean they do however I’ve seen stock 85 302 was so much sludge under the small sump it plugged up oil pump and took out the engine. Bad design it didn’t have two drain plugs

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sludge is caused from not letting the oil heat up probably. Seen it in lifter valleys, and up in heads around the springs and rocker arms. That like saying a small pool of water that the water runs into never is cirulated with the rest of the water running to the bigger pond. You know like you see in water fountains. But yes, not all have a drain plug in the front. Pick your pan carefully and modify it if need be to put one there.

·
Registered
612 Posts
It WOULD be nice to get the oil out of the front of the pan but don't lose any sleep over it. I just tore down a 460 out of an 84 F250 4x4,200k miles, and the front sump was the cleanest part of the pan.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It WOULD be nice to get the oil out of the front of the pan but don't lose any sleep over it. I just tore down a 460 out of an 84 F250 4x4,200k miles, and the front sump was the cleanest part of the pan.
yeah,im thinking it gets recycled continuously, cant hold much.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
30 Posts
That pan will work just fine with a rear sump. The front part will just allow room for the oil pump. Some have a drain plug as some here have already said, if yours doesn't this would be a good time before its all put together to go ahead and put one in.. Not absolutely necessary, but wouldn't hurt...

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
30 Posts
Yup... Should be able to find the pickup tube and sump on Summit? Jegs? Or even at a local parts store if you ask for the pickup tube and sump for a f-series 4x4 with a 460... Im thinking most any year should fit???? Someone stripe my ankles if im wrong... Oh and don't forget to set the depth in the sump from the bottom of the oil pan, im thinking 1 1/2 to 2 inches??? Somebody smack me if im rong????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts