460 Ford Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yup... Should be able to find the pickup tube and sump on Summit? Jegs? Or even at a local parts store if you ask for the pickup tube and sump for a f-series 4x4 with a 460... Im thinking most any year should fit???? Someone stripe my ankles if im wrong... Oh and don't forget to set the depth in the sump from the bottom of the oil pan, im thinking 1 1/2 to 2 inches??? Somebody smack me if im rong????
back again .weather delay ! my 71 has a dipstick in the timing cover with a front sump pan.
when i use the 2 sump pan(the red one), can i use the front dip stick? may need to cut it ?,if it hits bottom.
thinking to put in 5 qts oil and mark the stick. there will be oil up front..always questions.
its cold in barn. doing small jobs till warmer. lots to do on my 80. hope to drive this year.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
back again .weather delay ! my 71 has a dipstick in the timing cover with a front sump pan.
when i use the 2 sump pan(the red one), can i use the front dip stick? may need to cut it ?,if it hits bottom.
thinking to put in 5 qts oil and mark the stick. there will be oil up front..always questions.
its cold in barn. doing small jobs till warmer. lots to do on my 80. hope to drive this year.
no, must use correct stick, the truck rear sump is 7qts and 1 for filter, total 8qts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
oops,rethinking. the front could always be full even if the rear/main were low or mt !!
cancel my dumb thinking...

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
265 Posts
Yuppers plug off the one on the front cover, use the dipstick hole on the pan. Check parts houses for 4x4 ford dipsticks, and you'll need to get a tube as well, didn't see one on the pan... Maybe a Lokar universal kit with a trim to fit dipstick? Someone here might even have the right length to use??

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yuppers plug off the one on the front cover, use the dipstick hole on the pan. Check parts houses for 4x4 ford dipsticks, and you'll need to get a tube as well, didn't see one on the pan... Maybe a Lokar universal kit with a trim to fit dipstick? Someone here might even have the right length to use??
ok, on first look i saw a set for 50 bucks!! ...ill try to make one first...
if i find tubing to fit hole i can use any stick and mark it on first fill, but some say 6 qt, some 7 with that pan...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
so, im finally getting closer. cold barn not fun the last 6 mo. i got some little things done.
back brakes were a headache..
have the pump and stud bolt. getting a pick tube,had one wrong from a zone.
did a test run with just the pan to check fitting .
my high mount alt looked good on the floor but not so in the car! close to battery and blocks a good run for upper hose...i have the serpentine stuff from a 89?460 and it looks good but,,,?
any comments welcome...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That pan will work just fine with a rear sump. The front part will just allow room for the oil pump. Some have a drain plug as some here have already said, if yours doesn't this would be a good time before its all put together to go ahead and put one in.. Not absolutely necessary, but wouldn't hurt...
how many quarts? someone said 7/8...??

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
if its the van pan,or truck rear sump and you run 6000 rpm or higher its 7 for the pan and 1 for filter 8 total

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
well, 3 steps forward,2 steps back.
got pump and rear sump pickup for truck pan.
bolted pump n pickup on block and measured from block bottom to bottom of pickup, 10.5 inches.
measure pan flange to bottom, 9 inches...!
so wrong pickup. 2nd one,first was turned wrong.
any way to get exact melling number...??

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
bolted pump n pickup on block and measured from block bottom to bottom of pickup, 10.5 inches.

post parts num of what you have so far, and pics
oil pump should be m84dhv for rear sump

pics of pan as well

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
pan is red one pix b4. pump is the one mentioned.
my error on sump depth. both pan and pickup looks like 9.5 in.

last week b4 i got the pump/pickup i put pan on my to work on
fitting eng mounts,tran mount,headers, and it ends up moving the alt lower .
it looked good till i got it in car and it blocked the upper rad hose.big job moving it down.
so till i pull the eng i cant do an exaxt fit. it looks like the pickup will hit or be very close to bottom from measurements i have.
sorry for confusion. ive been struggling...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
pan is red one pix b4. pump is the one mentioned.
my error on sump depth. both pan and pickup looks like 9.5 in.

last week b4 i got the pump/pickup i put pan on my to work on
fitting eng mounts,tran mount,headers, and it ends up moving the alt lower .
it looked good till i got it in car and it blocked the upper rad hose.big job moving it down.
so till i pull the eng i cant do an exaxt fit. it looks like the pickup will hit or be very close to bottom from measurements i have.
sorry for confusion. ive been struggling...
pump is...M84DHV and red pan pix in #16 post.
pickup is melling. dont have # here.ill get it in barn mon.i told a zone it was an f 350 pan.
dont know till i find pump paper...im tired...
just looked at receipt. it says .2017 dodge durango...!
it actually looks like a fit, just tight.
g nite all...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mock up the pickup, use some playdough or a ball of tinfoil on the pickup then put the pan on and just snug down the bolts (don't need a gasket for this) and measure the thickness of the playdough or tinfoil ball. Should be around what 1/2 to 3/4 inch here? If I'm wrong someone correct me. But that's about where you need to set the pickup from the oil pump to the oil pan distance..

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Mock up the pickup, use some playdough or a ball of tinfoil on the pickup then put the pan on and just snug down the bolts (don't need a gasket for this) and measure the thickness of the playdough or tinfoil ball. Should be around what 1/2 to 3/4 inch here? If I'm wrong someone correct me. But that's about where you need to set the pickup from the oil pump to the oil pan distance..
new measurements look like 9.5 inches for pickup and SAME for pan on outside.need to pull pan and check.
i have no idea how i would adjust that space...
???

·
Registered
265 Posts
Did you ever get the depth lined out on the pickup and the pump? Just a lil curious about the depth on the high volume pump clearance to the pan itself cause I know it's thicker than the regular oil pump...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Did you ever get the depth lined out on the pickup and the pump? Just a lil curious about the depth on the high volume pump clearance to the pan itself cause I know it's thicker than the regular oil pump...
the pump fit, close, but the p u tube i ended with needed "massaged'. got it within 1/4 to 1/2 inch.
had pix here somewhere...
pan bolt holes are all small on this later pan, the 4 at ends. gasket needed washers removed.
had to drill pan holes. just another snag !!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
so i never found a tube for dipstik.
looked at dozens. nobody gives dimensions !!
no way to tell what fits in my press in pan...
tired of snags at each step,,,,
do i buy a new pan kit to get a dcxzved tube???

21 - 40 of 43 Posts