460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys first Post . Been doing lots of reading here since i Got my new toy.. lots of great info and lots to learn

did a few searching on the AJE K member for big block and coil overs and most of the info is very old so thought id ask for a little feed back on people who have them OR a better option . this will be my first Mod then Ill get into the engine in the next few weeks. Pics are just to show you what i got ! I bought it pretty much as is but had to finish up a few things so havent driven it much yet . future plans more power and lighten the front end .

20210706_214134.jpg 20210706_214218.jpg 20210620_133127.jpg 20210620_132133.jpg 20210620_132106.jpg

·
Registered
374 Posts
When I did my swap back in the 90s, before very much was available, they finally started coming out with good parts for the early Fox platforms.
I used D&D Motorsports tubar cross member and lower control arms, (make sure you get the ones that have the hole mounts for swaybar links if street use is intended). That and AFCO coil overs on the struts, with 450# springs, and a BBK caster/camber plate. That was also with a cast iron 460 in my Zephyr, (Fox platform). I used Lakewood rear lower control arms and BBK adjustable uppers to get the pinion angle I wanted. The tubar front stuff dropped 75# right away and I also used a Ford manual RP with it. Worked great.
You can actually change the crossmember with out removing the engine. Easy peasy. Done that one several times also.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
When I did my swap in my 93 Mustang I ordered the AJE K-member, mounts and perches. It pushed the engine back against the firewall to the point I couldn't bolt up the C6. I wound up removing it and putting in D&D engine mounts on the stock K-member along with their 2" long tube headers. Everything fit great. When I go tubular I'm going to use a UPR chrome moly unit along with the A-arms and coil overs. I have their stuff out back and it is top notch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i ordered all the UPR Chromoly parts today so will let you know when i get it together.. might be a month or two though .
thanks again for the info !
cheers

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
214 Posts
Has anyone tried it with a Team Z k-member? I don't have any motor mounts yet, but that's the k that I've got for my 90 fox so far...

·
Registered
374 Posts
i checked out "d n d",lots of info and stuff...? how do you talk to them and buy stuff??
Just call them. Problem is people aren't real happy campers these days. I talked with Edelbrock people earlier this year just before the big move out of Calif. and they weren't real happy. Bunch of jobs gone. Helpful, but not happy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just call them. Problem is people aren't real happy campers these days. I talked with Edelbrock people earlier this year just before the big move out of Calif. and they weren't real happy. Bunch of jobs gone. Helpful, but not happy.
heres dnd reply, end of my plans...

Sorry but although we do offer many swaps & components for the BBF Fox & SN95 engine swaps , we can't be of much help with the 460 with a manual trans Fox or SN95 project

We do not offer anything for a manual trans combination for this swap. It is not a popular swap as most guys doing the 460 Fox/SN95 swaps do not feel this is a practical , cost effective or functional swap for multiple reasons.

I am not aware of anyone offering direct bolt in kits/components for this swap. Custom headers "may" be an option but I have not even heard very positive feedback on going this VERY pricey route!

It is not an impossible swap if you are willing to address all the issues, work, time & cost associated with the swap.

so...back to c6...?
maybe ill bolt stik stuf to spare block and heads,store as souvenier...!!
thanks...

·
Registered
374 Posts
They thought digging the Panama Canal after the first try was impossible. Someone has probably already done it. Just finding that info is the problem. Remember a 81 Fox platform also applies to Capri, Fairmont/Zephyr. Look to what Ford/Mercury did for their stick shifts and build on that.
I'm putting a C-4 pan fill behind a 460 using the D5 Ford bellhousing from a 351M. Same block bolt pattern, but that's where in ends. The 351M uses a SBF style flexplate and C-4 convertor. C-4 convertor will not bolt up to a 460 flexplate/crank due to the crank bolts and the different convertor snub style. The C-6 convertor will work (somewhat) but you have to modifiy the 26-31 spline using an adapter (PA makes it) or the pricey 26 spline C-6 convertor. Then there is the fact (I found out while bolting the trans/block together) the C-6 convertor jams into the C-4 trans and binds everything up. So that requires a 1/8" block plate as a spacer (Quick Time) and now we have freedom again.
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION! If it was easy, anyone could do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Oof!! @dacofa you've given me a lotta food for thought... Mine has a 351M and C6 out of a 78-97 F150-250. I thought the converter was the same just like the rest of the tranny, if what you're saying is correct the only part that matches up is the bell housing.. This is gnna make my build a lil bit more difficult than I thought.. I didn't consider that the torque converter would be different or even that it would be splined differently on the input shaft.. I'll have to rethink how I'm gnna do part of mine now.. Thanks for the heads up! I'm glad to find out now rather than later after pieces don't fit!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Oof!! @dacofa you've given me a lotta food for thought... Mine has a 351M and C6 out of a 78-97 F150-250. I thought the converter was the same just like the rest of the tranny, if what you're saying is correct the only part that matches up is the bell housing.. This is gnna make my build a lil bit more difficult than I thought.. I didn't consider that the torque converter would be different or even that it would be splined differently on the input shaft.. I'll have to rethink how I'm gnna do part of mine now.. Thanks for the heads up! I'm glad to find out now rather than later after pieces don't fit!!
If it's C-6, it's the same block setup probably with a 31 spline shaft and 11 7/16" or 1/2" (pretty much the same) flexplate bolt pattern. The physical size of a 351M and BBF C-6 trans itself, I've never had the chance to compare. Ford could have and would have done some weird things sometimes depending on what vehicle it went in. I know if you order a C-6 for a 351M, it'll match 400M, 429 & 460s. So, I would have to say, it's the same as the 429/460 C-6s. Tailshafts can be different also. 351M FP uses a different crank bolt pattern so it won't (to the best of my knowledge) bolt to a 385 engine. A C-6 convertor for a 351M will work on a 385 FP as long as it's the larger bolt pattern. You can see how the C-6 flexplate is much flatter then the SBF one is which makes space for the crank bolts. Convertor snub and crank bolts are the issue.
This is a SBF FP with the 11 1/2" bolt pattern which both convertor bolt to, but big difference in the key places.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Here is another comparision. Black one is for a 460. Same size convertor bolt pattern and tooth count on both Flexplates. But look how the 460 one sets so much flatter. This is why a C-4 convertor doesn't have the recess for the crank bolts.Now also keep in mind that The crank flange does stick out different in each one/ But that doesn't help on the 6 crank bolts. Only convertor depth in the bellhousing.
As bad as it may sound, GM had it right when they made all this standard even between a Turbo 350 and 400 trans. But you couldn't give me a GM for love or money.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ooohhhhh!!! Ok!! So I should be good then! My 460 has a flex-plate w it (which I may replace) so everything from the torque converter back should line up/bolt up ok. Which I'll prolly have to go with a 10 or 11 in converter, and depending on what kinda shape my tranny really is in... Anyhoo... Thanks for lining me out!! That's really helped me out a bunch!!! Hats off to ya!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
well i ordered all the UPR Chromoly parts today so will let you know when i get it together.. might be a month or two though .
thanks again for the info !
cheers
I just finished up my k member swap with a 460 and used the upr unit with spacers for hood clearance. It set the engine back about a inch from the stock unit and the spacers changed the steering shaft position so I had to modify the #7 header tube. I think you’ll like the upr set up.

·
Registered
214 Posts
When you use spacers on the k-member how does that that affect the tranny location? Did you have to change the tranny mount to account for the drop in the k-member mount??

·
Registered
14 Posts
When you use spacers on the k-member how does that that affect the tranny location? Did you have to change the tranny mount to account for the drop in the k-member mount??
No doesn’t affect trans mount location at all. All it does is raise the body up for hood clearance.

·
Registered
374 Posts
No doesn’t affect trans mount location at all. All it does is raise the body up for hood clearance.
It won't really change the trans mount location itself, but it will change the U-joint angle to the driveshaft.

·
Registered
682 Posts
From my experience,when the K is bolted straight up,it puts the motor at a pretty harsh downward angle from front to back.I used 2 inch spacers and the original cross member height actually leveled things off to a more acceptable angle with no U joint issues.The cross member had to be modified in the front to back location but not up and down.The spacers let me keep everything under a stock hood.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts