460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have an 83 ranger with a fairly built 460 and c6 with 3000 stall. im having a huge issue with getting traction. Right now it has an 8.8 with leaf springs traction bars and air shocks (not the best setup lol), i was wondering if anyone had some good ideas about going with a new setup such as a 4 link? I dont have much suspension experiance so any info will help. thank you

·
Registered
129 Posts
I used a Ladder Bar kit from S and W race cars, it is designed specifically for the Ranger. Heres a link to there website. http://www.swracecars.com/Files/CATpg32.pdf

I have 31x14.5 M/T Et Street Tires on my truck that helps with traction.

Is your firewall stock or has it been modified for more engine set back? How modified is the engine?

·
Registered
817 Posts
i dont have a range but i did have 60 ft trouble i went with a home made cal trac style traction bar with the rancho 9 way shocks turn my truck into a ball buster on launch for the engine i have 1.50 to 1.55 60ft for a 3870lbs there is alot 2 do with tire pressure 2 hoosier dr i ran at 12psi mt dr 14psi dont be afraid 2 lower it down and play with it measure front end travel you want 5" of travel sitting with you in it then measure your fender opening then jack it up till the wheel is just off need 5" take a video of your launch make sure both are spinning if using a posi try hitting the tire harder or softer leaf springs can work very well
dragweek quickest street rod
2009 2010

·
Registered
172 Posts
I dont have a big block in my 90 ranger, but I do have a 450hp 2.3L turbo, and I used 3800lb Mopar Super Stock rear springs that are for a 426 hemi Cuda and they work amazingly well. Ride great, handle great, and dont have any lift or traction bars. The front half is 20" long and the rear is 36" which means you have to move the front hangers down and back and the shackles back. They are also setup for spring under axle, but Im using an Expo 8.8 with disc brakes, and they are an spring under setup so it is all good. Oh they are a left and right set. The right side has 6 full leaves and 2 half leaves facing forward and the left has just 6 full leaves. This counteracts the natural torque twist of any engine and they come with the front halves clmped already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts