460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help picking out the correct height cowl hood for my mustang.
What height cowl hood have you used to clear a 460 w/Ford Racing Single plane, Dominator with a 1" spacer? I'm using older 3 pc motor mounts and it looks to me like I need at least a 4" hood and maybe a 6"? any Suggestions?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a 3" hood and if fits as long as I don't use an aircleaner. Carb clears the hood by less the 1/2". That's with D&D mounts and a Stealth intake, no spacer but I want to run one. I would say get the 6" hood and avoid the hassle.
Doug

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what I'm thinking. I have a buddy bringing over a 4" cowl hood off his car, We are going to mock it of Thursday. I'll post the findings.

Thanks
Dave

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brenden said:
I have a 4" on mine and it clears.
What intake are you running? Do you have enough clearance to run a air cleaner? Who's hood?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have a 4" Cervini's hood. Victor intake, 1" spacer, Dominator. There was minimal clearance but it seemed to work well. The front carb vent had about 1/4 to the bottom of the hood and the front float adjustment probably had 3/8th's. I had built an airpan to seal to the bottom part of the hood. I cut a round air filter and placed it at the back of the hood at the cowl opening for when I would drive around alot. I forgot the filter once when racing at the track. It didn't seem to slow the car at all. The air pan greatly helped performance as did the spacer.

You can see a pic of my setup at www.bigblockfox.com under my name car/Brenden Howe.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brenden said:
I have a 4" Cervini's hood. Victor intake, 1" spacer, Dominator. There was minimal clearance but it seemed to work well. The front carb vent had about 1/4 to the bottom of the hood and the front float adjustment probably had 3/8th's. I had built an airpan to seal to the bottom part of the hood. I cut a round air filter and placed it at the back of the hood at the cowl opening for when I would drive around alot. I forgot the filter once when racing at the track. It didn't seem to slow the car at all. The air pan greatly helped performance as did the spacer.

You can see a pic of my setup at www.bigblockfox.com under my name car/Brenden Howe.
Looks nice, I like how you used cylinders instead of a prop rod.

·
Registered
183 Posts
here is mine, with a victor intake, 1in spacer, i needed a 6 in hood.. i can get a shot tomorrow if needed from the back of the hood to show how close it is..

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks Like a 6" one is the one for me !! 4" was way to tight of my taste.

Thanks for Everyone help !!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
460stang79 said:
here is mine, with a victor intake, 1in spacer, i needed a 6 in hood.. i can get a shot tomorrow if needed from the back of the hood to show how close it is..

460stang79, where did you get your 6" cowl hood from? seems to be very few manufactures of 6" cowls for 86 and older stangs !! any suggestions?

·
Registered
183 Posts
i picked mine up at the englishtown swapmeet last year.. i forget who makes it, there is a place in delaware that makes then.. i think liberty mustang supply,, or something like that.. they are in most of the mustang mags..HO fibertrends make some good stuff from what i hear also..

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Dave,I have a 5 or 6" HO Fibertrends hood on my 89 Must

If you want some pictures let me know.I have a 460 in it with a Victor intake and about a 1/2" spacer.I have quite a few pictures of my hood.

Later Mark.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shoot them to me would love to see them.

Got a borrowed 4" hood to fit but had to remove the spacer and cut one vent tube about 1/2" to get it to clear. not sure of the manufacture of the hood. Looking into the Liberty Mustang 5" hood.

[email protected]

·
Registered
183 Posts
dfree383 said:
Shoot them to me would love to see them.

Got a borrowed 4" hood to fit but had to remove the spacer and cut one vent tube about 1/2" to get it to clear. not sure of the manufacture of the hood. Looking into the Liberty Mustang 5" hood.

[email protected]
just go with the 6 in and be done with it,, if your that close that you had to cut a vent tube, with a 4in hood, you need the 6in,,

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mark Miller, Got your pictures, car looks great !! Who's hood are you running (manufacture?). yes I agree with the 6" hood but I'm having problems finding one for under $500-$600 Everything I've found so far is on the west Coast and Shipping if freakin out of site !! Havent found a 6" for a 84 on the east coast........Liberty only makes a 5" Reasonably priced and reasonable shipping..... Any more suggestions?

The 4" won't clear my MSD so even with cutting the vent tubes its useless !!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Dave,My hood is a HO Fibertends.

I looked on HO Fibertrends website and the biggest cowl hood they show for 83-86 Mustangs is a 4" in either bolt on or a lift off to the windshield.They want $369.00 for either one,if you need to call them here's the phone number 1-740-983-3864 they're out of Ashville,Ohio.I would call them maybe they have taller hoods but might not have updated the website i a while.Thanks for the compliments on my car,not bad for a $1,100.00 car with a running 4 cylinder in it when i bought it.If you have any other questions just ask i'll try to answer them.

Later Mark.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Already tried them..... they don't offer anything bigger than the 4".....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts