460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, so I got an 1985 f-350 with a 460 and I'm fixing up the truck and thinking why not throw a cam in the ol girl kick up the power a bit. Not sure what cam to pick or if it will be compatible with the lifters that are in the engine. It's never been opened up so I don't know what to expect. Any links to a cam would be helpful. I'm not sure if I want something big or mid-size but I want to have a good rumble to it.
Thanks,
Edward
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
935 Posts
My $.02 is DO NOT worry about how the exhaust will sound when picking a cam, worry about how the engine will perform. If you want a “good rumble” put on an aftermarket muffler or exhaust system.
More info is needed to suggest a cam.
Intended vehicle usage?
Trans?
Gear Ratio?
Tire Size?
Is it otherwise a stock engine?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My $.02 is DO NOT worry about how the exhaust will sound when picking a cam, worry about how the engine will perform. If you want a “good rumble” put on an aftermarket muffler or exhaust system.
More info is needed to suggest a cam.
Intended vehicle usage?
Trans?
Gear Ratio?
Tire Size?
Is it otherwise a stock engine?
The truck is completely stock but the tires, it's got a standard trans and it's got a side dump with twin glass packs. It's gonna be used as a work truck pulling big loads most of its life. I think the tire size is 28. I was told it walks high so it's geared down. It's a completely stock engine. I will get the true tire size and gear ratio when I work on the truck next.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts