460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am doing a newer brake swap on my 79 mustang and i was wondering if anyone knows where I could get ahold of a pair of 87-93 v8 mustang spindles? They're a lot harder to find than I expected. I'm planning on using 81-81 lincoln mark calipers and rotors, has anyone here done this swap? Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks, Derek

·
Registered
565 Posts
It's a real basic swap, not a big deal at all. Ebay normally has the spindles. Are you staying with four lug? If not, it's a great time to swap over to the five lug stuff. The only concern you may have is the stock master cylinder volume. I would upgrade the master also, the pistons in the Lincoln calipers are huge. If you have any questions, let me know... I have done this swap more then once.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm going to 5 lug and also putting qa1 struts on it. I have willwood rear disc brakes and I'm still debating what master cylinder i want to use. I was looking at the strange and aerospace masters though. I looked on ebay and didn't find any spindles and also called local salvage yards with no luck, that's why I figured i would ask on this forum.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Gotcha. I personally went with the Wilwood master, and have their rear kit as well. Depending on your wheel and tire combo, I would strongly suggest going with the 13" Cobra stuff. If you shop around you can do it very reasonable. I would have, but already had a few sets of four lug wheels and tires.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Derek,I know places that sell those spindles get $75.00>&

a piece for them.I'll see what he wants for them and let you know he lives in Northeast,Ohio.I think i have some pictures of them i can send you if interested.Let me know.

Thanks Mark.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
this may be a lot of help to all of you....

we use 1983 alum master from ranger truck, for all our installes, large pistion,and put line toward the left,not toward engine,,we have it on 8sec 3400 lbs cars,and on 4700 pound cars that run 1150,
we have it on 4wheel disc,and on 4 wheel drum(galxe),

and a 9.60 3780 pound car

alum,so it sheds heat,and fits all fords,it light,and is all one pice,

83 ranger,alum,for man brakes, ive also installed this on power brake cars,\

-R

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks boss 429 that's good to know. I'll probably go that route. Hey mark I'm in southwest Ohio so shipping would probably be pretty cheap to me, that would work out great. Thanks for checking this out for me. :lol:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Derek,
Can't you put the '94-up stuff on there as long as you use the hub assembly along with it? That would already be your 5-lug pattern and also way more available. I believe they also did away with the smaller brakes on non-GT's. I think all were the same except Cobras and Mach 1's. Lee

·
Registered
565 Posts
The 94 and up stuff will work if you use the hub assemblies, brackets etc. The only concern is that it changes the track width a littlle so you need to take that into consideration with your wheel and tire choice.

·
Registered
134 Posts
FYI, the 87-88 T-bird Turbo coupe spindles are the same as the 87-93 Mustang V-8 ones.I ended up buying a totalled off 88 Turbo coupe from my local insurance company when I was looking for spindles and I parted out what I didn't need.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your help

Hey guys thanks for all of the info. I wanted everyone to know I just purchased a pair of spindles from ebay. They were posted today with a buy it now of 64 bucks so I jumped on em. The guy has another pair for sale for the same price if anyone is intersted.

Thanks a lot guys, Derek

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brake setup

Here is what I ended up with:

87-93 gt spindles
drilled and slotted 5 lug rotors for lincoln markVII
84 mustang svo 73mm calipers(same as lincoln)
Brake lines from 84 svo mustang
wilwood 1-1/8 master cylinder.

I was looking at the stainless steel caliper sleeves. Has anyone tried these? I wonder if they make a difference?

Derek

1 - 17 of 17 Posts