460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My work truck has finally in need of a head gasket.I have been waiting for quite some time,due to a real slow disappearing antifreeze issue.
I have a real good 89 460 in a truck I was thinking about swapping in rather than pulling the heads on engine in truck.
What has to be changed to do this swap and what will not work?I understand these have a different computer to run efi?Is it a matter of swapping some sensors?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am also wondering if crank balance is the same.The donor has a zf and my truck has a aod.
Flex plate going to match?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are just swapping the motors. I recommend using the sensors that are on you current truck. You know they are in working order, and all you need is the motor. That being said. The motor your going to remove from the donor truck should be treated like a motor you would get from a create. Install your current intake, exhaust, flex plate, and accessories.

The ECU only starts playing a roll in the swap when you try to change transmissions. (In your case, auto to manual) If so there are a few more steps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reply
Actually I am pulling motor out of a 5sp truck and putting it in an auto truck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am trying to find some gaskets.Not sure which is easier route.Gaskets or swap.I went and put a lift kit in truck like a dumbass.
HS set is going to run me $280 believe it or not.Most expensive set I have ever heard of for a car/truck and that isn’t even the bottom end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am trying to find some gaskets.Not sure which is easier route.Gaskets or swap.I went and put a lift kit in truck like a dumbass.
HS set is going to run me $280 believe it or not.Most expensive set I have ever heard of for a car/truck and that isn’t even the bottom end.
Is that a felpro gasket set? For a BB that sounds about right. Your also going to want a new set of head bolts.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Is that a felpro gasket set? For a BB that sounds about right. Your also going to want a new set of head bolts.

The OEM head bolts are actually better than the OEM style replacements...
This assumes good condition.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The OEM head bolts are actually better than the OEM style replacements...
This assumes good condition.

SJ
used 2b RHP

Thank you Mad Porter.I was was swearing thinking about spending more money.Old bolts it is!By the time buy bolts and gaskets the swap looks much better.After all the motor is a freebie.
My cousin has gaskets listed for $160 at his Napa cost.Question is whether he can get them or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts