460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that my late Ford 9" rearend can not handle the spool, and big BFG Baja TAs.
I lost the axle bearing retainer. It kind of looks like Elmer Fudds shotgun after Bugs stuck his fingers in the barrels.
I know Strange engeneering makes stronger axel retainers but what else can I do to prevent this from happening again ???

Thanks
Jim/CBR

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You should be able to find thicker/stronger axle bearing retainers (for factory drum brakes) at Strange & M-W.

Did it fail because the bearing "pushed through" the center of the thin factory retainer? Or did the retainer's 4 bolt holes rip/fail?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pushed threw the center.

here is a pic of the rear;

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I can see where a truck like yours (big tires & high center of gravity) would see a good amount of axle side loading. This side loading could be the cause of the axle pushing through the paper thin factory retainer, (a bent/bowed axle shaft might also push out).

Mark Williams's heavy duty bearing retainer plates are cut from 1/4" thick steel, they make the factory retainer look sickly.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. said:
I can see where a truck like yours (big tires & high center of gravity) would see a good amount of axle side loading. This side loading could be the cause of the axle pushing through the paper thin factory retainer, (a bent/bowed axle shaft might also push out).

Mark Williams's heavy duty bearing retainer plates are cut from 1/4" thick steel, they make the factory retainer look sickly.
Do you have a link for there website ???

Thank you

·
0 Posts
9 truck

9 in trucks use a cone bearing vs roller so can push hard on retainer but that bearing can take greater side loads, like for oval track racing. change over to ball bearing

·
Registered
476 Posts
I Love that truck! That looks like a lot of fun.

You deffinitely need to loose the factory sheet metal stamped side plates.
Go with the heavy Strange or Mark Williams piece and you will never have any problems.

I run a shaved 9, 35 spline strange setup in my rock crawling rig with 42" tires. I am HEAVY on throttle! I have put it on it's side during full throttle assaults four times :lol:

Pulled the shafts this winter for inspection and they look new.

What do you do with that truck?
Me and some buddies are putting together a Baja team in the next 5 years. We have done about everything else and this has been a dream of ours, so we have strated collecting and planning.

Nice truck.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Broncman said:
I Love that truck! That looks like a lot of fun.

You deffinitely need to loose the factory sheet metal stamped side plates.
Go with the heavy Strange or Mark Williams piece and you will never have any problems.

I run a shaved 9, 35 spline strange setup in my rock crawling rig with 42" tires. I am HEAVY on throttle! I have put it on it's side during full throttle assaults four times :lol:

Pulled the shafts this winter for inspection and they look new.

What do you do with that truck?
Me and some buddies are putting together a Baja team in the next 5 years. We have done about everything else and this has been a dream of ours, so we have strated collecting and planning.

Nice truck.
We race BITD and SNORE with it, desert racing.

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
9"

Broncman, Didn't you read all the magazine articles ?? They all say you have to run a Dana 60 with any tires over 35". You can't run 42s on a 9", come on - get with the program. LOL Just Kidding. The 9' is much stronger than the Magazine guys think. - Posford -

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: 9"

posford said:
Broncman, Didn't you read all the magazine articles ?? They all say you have to run a Dana 60 with any tires over 35". You can't run 42s on a 9", come on - get with the program. LOL Just Kidding. The 9' is much stronger than the Magazine guys think. - Posford -
In this class I can not use anything other than what came on these trucks from the factory. Being it is a F100 the Dana 40 would suck ........... The 9" is way stronger. Plus I was able to change the studs from 1/2" to 9/16" by simply replacing them with '91 F250 studs, and they fit the wheels way better. I am running 35" tires anyway.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
476 Posts
Re: 9"

posford said:
Yea, those rags are put out by Jeep drivers...You don't need anything stronger than a D60 with those.....but run a Ford , and well , you need the strength 8)

Serious, I have saw over 4 D60's eat the ring gears in Rock Crawling comps in 2 years. (UROC series) These were the aftermarket housings and setups. Never saw a Nodular Iron , properly setup 9 fail!

We built 2 "609" axles for our comp buggy in my link below. These are custom 9 housings with Dedenbear 60 steering knuckles! 4 wheel steer and Ford 5 lug 9/16 lugs!

·
Registered
96 Posts
9"

Yea, those Jeepers...... So far I've been running a 9" standard iron case in my Pullin' Truck. Super Street class, guys running some serious H.P. I've only spit out ( broke the front of the third member ) 2 pinions with my 390 FE. I think it might have had something to do with the 5000 rpm launches. I'm probably only running about 425 - 450 H.P. - Posford -
BTW how do I post a picture with my post?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: 9 truck

2slow said:
9 in trucks use a cone bearing vs roller so can push hard on retainer but that bearing can take greater side loads, like for oval track racing. change over to ball bearing

I have the sealed bearings in it, not the tapered ones.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts