460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thoughts on a 2 bolt D1 full fill block with a 4340 crank, aluminum rods, forged dome pistons and A-460 heads turning about 7,200 RPM's? Between 800-900 Horse. Think it would last?
Rob

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, I'd feel a lot more confident with 4 bolt centers, but all my D1 blocks don't have enough meat on the bulkheads to 4 bolt them. Anyone got any suitable D0 or D1 blocks sitting around that can be had for next to nothing??? Lol
Rob

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Thoughts on a 2 bolt D1 full fill block with a 4340 crank, aluminum rods, forged dome pistons and A-460 heads turning about 7,200 RPM's? Between 800-900 Horse. Think it would last?
Rob

have c9s making 800+ na,and d1s over 900+ , none filled, they all run 7500 to 8500rpm

·
Registered
3,759 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have personally seen 2 bolt block hold 1200 and still running.... mine should make around 750-800 when I throw the sink at it.

Tune up is where it's at for sure

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I'll just throw my 2 cents in here!!
Tune up AND balancing job are important. You can have what they call an "overbalance" done to the rotating assembly where it will be happy in the high RPM zone. Smoother, without vibrating everything to death!!

Also, either use stock type main bolts or of you use ARP studs, install sleeves on the studs, as they are smaller diameter than stock type bolts, and they allow the caps to move around, no matter how much clamping force you put on them.
You're better off to have the bolts or studs with sleeves fit very snug in the cap bolt holes.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Serious question............what makes a good tune? (for all us dummies out there)
Bob your no dummy

NO detonation at all, spark plugs looking the same in EVERY CLY after every pass. EHX temp under control with timing and fuel , Idel air correct so engine runs cool as it can.

Get an engine to warm and detonation can ,and will occur much easier, Then the eng will make hot spots in the cooling system, still on the gas? next it will work on the head gaskets as in starting to burn them/push them out! As its doing this it is rattling the rings in the lands ,all the while trying to lift the top of the piston off. at the same time the spark plugs are burning off, these little pieces are in turn sticking to the back of the valves, now hurting the seats in some cases. this is about the time if your still on the gas where the lifters are starting to get a real beating ,along with the upper rod bearing shell, at this time cap walk is a waste of time to worry about. On and On this goes.

You may make 4 or 5 passes and all of a sudden something fails,and you say wow what happened? This is because detonation was working on all this part all the while.

No detonation= happy engine

the other problem is most don't know what it sounds like, and some guys WONT LIFT!

Best I can say is learn to read the plugs, and listen to the engine

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bob your no dummy

NO detonation at all, spark plugs looking the same in EVERY CLY after every pass. EHX temp under control with timing and fuel , Idel air correct so engine runs cool as it can.

Get an engine to warm and detonation can ,and will occur much easier, Then the eng will make hot spots in the cooling system, still on the gas? next it will work on the head gaskets as in starting to burn them/push them out! As its doing this it is rattling the rings in the lands ,all the while trying to lift the top of the piston off. at the same time the spark plugs are burning off, these little pieces are in turn sticking to the back of the valves, now hurting the seats in some cases. this is about the time if your still on the gas where the lifters are starting to get a real beating ,along with the upper rod bearing shell, at this time cap walk is a waste of time to worry about. On and On this goes.

You may make 4 or 5 passes and all of a sudden something fails,and you say wow what happened? This is because detonation was working on all this part all the while.

the other problem is most don't know what it sounds like, and some guys WONT LIFT!

In the two engines that I've detonated this is exactly what happened. 7 of the 8 piston tops were melted away, several of them down into the top rings and chunks of rings were dislodged and a couple of pieces were even reverberated back up the tunnel ram runner and ended up in the cylinder next to it imbedded in the top of the piston. 3 rods were bent. The top bearing shells were all hammered and I can see evidence of cap walk. I was running zero gap second rings and I can say this, I pulled a compression check on the engine before tear down and most had enough compression so that the engine would have probably run.....compression wise. Not a pretty sight at all.

Just a FYI so that you can have some information to make tuning decisions with: 16:1+ compression, pump gas and 50* of total timing with a slightly lean A/F mixture will get you melted pistons every time.
Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use a dss main girdle with arp studs no cap milling required ,and sleeves in cap bolt holes. the problem with adding 4 bolt caps is the front cap is still a 2 bolt.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bob your no dummy

In the two engines that I've detonated this is exactly what happened. 7 of the 8 piston tops were melted away, several of them down into the top rings and chunks of rings were dislodged and a couple of pieces were even reverberated back up the tunnel ram runner and ended up in the cylinder next to it imbedded in the top of the piston. 3 rods were bent. The top bearing shells were all hammered and I can see evidence of cap walk. I was running zero gap second rings and I can say this, I pulled a compression check on the engine before tear down and most had enough compression so that the engine would have probably run.....compression wise. Not a pretty sight at all.

Just a FYI so that you can have some information to make tuning decisions with: 16:1+ compression, pump gas and 50* of total timing with a slightly lean A/F mixture will get you melted pistons every time.
Rob
That sounds like a stick of dynamite with a VERY short fuse....?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts