460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New around here.Actually found the forum by accident.
Last summer I picked up a 94 f350 welding truck,and have been very happy with it.I would like to try and make a little more power for pulling the camper.The truck already weighs in at about 12/13,000 lbs.Truck was bought with a stock rebuild engine and seems to be all in good working order after 45,000 km.
I’ve already added a mandrel bent 3” exhaust system with a decent low restriction muffler which made a big difference.
Anyone have any suggestions for a decent Rv cam?
Also can a early cam be used in this motor?Ive priced out cams and found to be on pricey side for these late engines and am wondering if early chain and cam be substituted into these engines?
Thanks Olweldinrig

·
Registered
292 Posts
Your engine already has a straight up timing chain/gears. For a cam get a hold of Scotty J. The Mad Porter he has plenty of experience with these fuel injected motors.

·
Premium Member
8,672 Posts
Hi,
New around here.Actually found the forum by accident.
Last summer I picked up a 94 f350 welding truck,and have been very happy with it.I would like to try and make a little more power for pulling the camper.The truck already weighs in at about 12/13,000 lbs.Truck was bought with a stock rebuild engine and seems to be all in good working order after 45,000 km.
I’ve already added a mandrel bent 3” exhaust system with a decent low restriction muffler which made a big difference.
Anyone have any suggestions for a decent Rv cam?
Also can a early cam be used in this motor?Ive priced out cams and found to be on pricey side for these late engines and am wondering if early chain and cam be substituted into these engines?
Thanks Olweldinrig View attachment 90949

All 429 / 460 passenger car and truck cams are essentially the same.

193 / 206 @ .050" ground on a 113 lsa in at 110 ICL early and 118 late.
Lift is typically .437" / .487"

EFI 460's are always straight up with a double roller timing set.

Before you bother with any sort of cam change you need to get headers, low restriction air cleaner element in OEM housing or Banks top and set the initial timing at 13 btdc with the spout removed.

A mild cam change can be worth some torque and hp but will need better springs and possibly push rods.

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response guys.I already have a air cleaner upgrade.Not anything to special but when new truck was a fleet vehicle and was converted to a 5”x roughly 1’ long tube style element.
I will adjusting the timeing this afternoon.
I found this banks top,I assume it is the one mentioned.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,672 Posts
Thanks for the quick response guys.I already have a air cleaner upgrade.Not anything to special but when new truck was a fleet vehicle and was converted to a 5”x roughly 1’ long tube style element.
I will adjusting the timeing this afternoon.
I found this banks top,I assume it is the one mentioned.

Correct.

Headers will provide a notable increase in Torque and hp.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have priced the headers out.Not in the very least cheap,especially with the crossover and egr tube.I do believe they can be ordered with out crossover and egr.How well will these engines run with egr delete?Ive read if you delete it and leave wiring hooked up and it’s not an issue.I also read the with a delete in place this causes a mid range ping?
Dave

·
Premium Member
8,672 Posts
I have priced the headers out.Not in the very least cheap,especially with the crossover and egr tube.I do believe they can be ordered with out crossover and egr.How well will these engines run with egr delete?Ive read if you delete it and leave wiring hooked up and it’s not an issue.I also read the with a delete in place this causes a mid range ping?
Dave

EGR HAS to be shut off in the ECM tune or the engine will rattle at part throttle due to excessive timing under high manifold vacuum.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EGR HAS to be shut off in the ECM tune or the engine will rattle at part throttle due to excessive timing under high manifold vacuum.

SJ
used 2b RHP

You lost me here,So this needs to shut be down inside the ecm?
I am guessing this is done thru a diagnostic computer at a shop?Or this there a way to bypass this?
Dave

·
Premium Member
8,672 Posts
You lost me here,So this needs to shut be down inside the ecm?
I am guessing this is done thru a diagnostic computer at a shop?Or this there a way to bypass this?
Dave
It has to be done with a custom tune.

Best to simply leave the EGR functional.

SJ
used 2b RHP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts